"No Checked Baggage" Designation

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: "No Checked Baggage" Designation

Postby Rbts Stn » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:14 am

Here's another international traveler not planning to take the train from NYC to Boston due to the luggage issue:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g ... _York.html

CHANGE YOUR WORDING, AMTRAK!
Rbts Stn

Postby Rockingham Racer » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:50 am

Perhaps someone with the savvy could make a link to this thread and include it in an email to Amtrak?
Rockingham Racer

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:45 am

Right now, my next door neighbors are loading up their Toyota Sequoia (their biggest SUV) for an "off to college" odyssey. I'm sure, especially since I know her, this Freshman girl is taking twice what she needs.

Funny how when I went off to the University of Illinois during 1962 as a Freshman, everything I needed fitted into two suitcases and into my Roomette from "Old Penn" on the PRR "Manhattan Limited", into a taxicab to Central Station comfortably making the then-daylight scheduled "City of New Orleans" to Champaign, and another taxicab to Snyder Hall (barracks).

Funny how last week, when I went overseas, everything I needed for a week fit in a suitcase that once upon a time would fit under a Coach seat (the way those have shrunk "back in the Gulag" of late, doubt it anymore) in the overhead and weighing in at 19lb. That included "dress ups" for concerts at the Salzburg Festival (you don't go there looking the way some do at the Chicago Symphony; maybe I should look in the mirror myself).

In short, "if you can't carry it, don't bring it".

Finally, when I was "over there", I didn't see too much suggesting much in the way that the Austrian road, OBB, handle checked baggage. Maybe on a "NightJet", but not during the day.
Gilbert B Norman

TAN: Why a Taxi?

Postby JimBoylan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:16 am

Gilbert B Norman wrote:into a taxicab to Central Station
Didn't your interline ticket include a coupon for Parmalee Transfer's vehicle?
JimBoylan

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:30 pm

Mr. Boylan, I had a Railroad Transfer coupon, but PRR #23 arrived CUS 720A, IC #1 left 800A.

Wanted to "play it safe", even if #23 was smack on time.

More on Parmelee.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby ExCon90 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:53 pm

How times have changed: just imagine scheduling a 40-minute connection--including change of stations--in Chicago today. Of course, back before the days of event recorders a train could leave Fort Wayne late and arrive in Chicago on time, with no repercussions from higher-ups--quite the contrary.
ExCon90

Previous

Return to Amtrak