Amtrak Corporate Organization

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Tadman, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America

Re: Amtrak Corporate Organization

Postby MACTRAXX » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:34 am

GM:

I agree with you-I can not see Amtrak moving their Corporate Headquarters to a suburban office
park as an example-especially if it is a significant distance from any Amtrak facilities or ROWs.

Another thought: What about moving to a smaller NEC city such as Wilmington, DE?
WIL already has Amtrak's CNOC (Consolidated Nationwide Operations Center - I believe that is
the title) adjacent to the station being a good example of what they already have there.

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby Rockingham Racer » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:47 am

Has anyone noticed that the regional VP for the Midwest was not named? You know: Chicago, where things are all screwed up?
Rockingham Racer

Postby gokeefe » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:05 pm

MACTRAXX wrote:I agree with you-I can not see Amtrak moving their Corporate Headquarters to a suburban office
park as an example-especially if it is a significant distance from any Amtrak facilities or ROWs.

Another thought: What about moving to a smaller NEC city such as Wilmington, DE?
WIL already has Amtrak's CNOC (Consolidated Nationwide Operations Center - I believe that is
the title) adjacent to the station being a good example of what they already have there.

MACTRAXX

Well CNOC is exactly the kind of facility I would imagine they want. Trackside but not necessarily a "prestige" space. I'm sure they're going to stay in Washington. They would be crazy not to. There are plenty of locations along the corridor inside the District that I can think of.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Ken W2KB » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:10 pm

The federal government for several years has had in effect a policy to encourage "telework" wherein employees typically work from home with company owned and supported telecommunications/teleconference equipment including computers and networks. I suspect that many of the Amtrak general office positions would lend themselves to telework, thereby affording an opportunity for Amtrak to effect cost saving and employee satisfaction. See: https://www.telework.gov/guidance-legislation/telework-guidance/telework-guide/
~Ken :: Fairmont ex-UP/MP C436 MT-14M1 :: Cessna 177B Cardinal N16019
Black River Railroad Historical Trust :: My Personal Site
Ken W2KB

Location: Lebanon Township, Hunterdon County, New Jersey & Tiverton, RI USA

Postby oamundsen » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:37 pm

Greg Moore, I have for about 15 years made frequent trips into/out of Chicago Union Station and also have for these years puzzled over "what is wrong with Amtrak senior management." I lived and worked in WDC for a number of years and came out of a pretty good management education background and, I believe, Amtrak management is out of touch completely with its customer base. This happens very often with those living and working in WDC! The daily reinforcement of the idea that you as a national organization's manager are someone special and the rest of the nation's population do not exist does, in fact, occur. Moving much of the senior management to Chicago would break this mind set and give managers on a daily basis exposure to all the pluses and minuses of rail travel by normal people who commute to work, who arrive from anywhere in the country to change trains, who arrive by car, bus, air or train to catch an Amtrak train home, to family, to work, to medical care, etc. These Amtrak employees could also see first hand the experiences of the Amtrak yard crews, the environment they work in and all of the interactions of running conflicts with numerous owners of tracks upon which Amtrak operates. Maybe, just maybe, being west of Buffalo would enlighten some of them to the fact that there is a whole lot of USA out there and the NEC is not the center of the railroad universe. One lonely VP of Amtrak probably will not make a difference.
oamundsen

Postby gokeefe » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:04 pm

According to that logic United Airlines should be one of the single most customer oriented airlines in all of aviation history. I completely disagree. Amtrak is a relatively small organization and I can say that I've personally met and seen many of their senior leadership "out in the field" and heard others tell often of the same.

Amtrak's biggest fundamental problem? They loose money and depend on federal appropriations to keep them afloat. If they were making money and covering all of their own expenses (including capital) the organization would be able to be far more responsive and customer friendly. They would probably look something like Brightline/AAF.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:20 pm

gokeefe wrote:According to that logic United Airlines should be one of the single most customer oriented airlines in all of aviation history. I completely disagree.

Mr. O'Keefe, they're good enough for me (not that I fly that much and I do live at their principal hub, if you have occasion to fly them it's a puddle jumper to a hub of theirs like EWR or IAD).

But to topic, if Amtrak stays in Wash, I'm sure they could locate in NE along New York Avenue (how about the Hecht department store building if it still stands?).
Gilbert B Norman

Postby gokeefe » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:41 pm

Gilbert B Norman wrote:But to topic, if Amtrak stays in Wash, I'm sure they could locate in NE along New York Avenue (how about the Hecht department store building if it still stands?).

Funny you should mention it. I've been thinking of that very building this whole time.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby SouthernRailway » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:21 pm

How about the Southern Railway Building? Maybe Wick Moorman worked there earlier in his career?

I'd think that Washington would be the best location for Amtrak: near Congress, the NEC, non-electrified lines, both Superliner and single-level LD trains, etc.
SouthernRailway

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:54 pm

Mr. O'Keefe, I'm sure this could be had on the cheap - and there are even "offices with a view".

1668 New York Ave NE

https://goo.gl/maps/vVkN19MSeww
Gilbert B Norman

Postby Greg Moore » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:21 pm

I've driven by that building more than once. Quite interesting. I'd LOVE to get inside.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby gokeefe » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:42 pm

Streetview shows one side under renovation and then from the other side the whole thing is done. Perfect timing.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby ThirdRail7 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:14 pm

I was told from multiple people (and it is now posted on another board) that Amtrak has to maintain a Washington DC address as its principal location. Apparently, this helps since Amtrak is some sort of federal entity and being centered in WAS helps it avoid certain laws.

I'm not sure if that is a load of hooey. I'll leave it to the legal eagles to confirm or deny the relevance.

gokeefe wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:But to topic, if Amtrak stays in Wash, I'm sure they could locate in NE along New York Avenue (how about the Hecht department store building if it still stands?).

Funny you should mention it. I've been thinking of that very building this whole time.

The HECHT company building has been bought and occupied.

Just for the record, the location of the new office in WAS has already been selected. The move takes place next year.
I want my road foreman!
ThirdRail7

Postby gokeefe » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:50 pm

The Washington DC address is likely partly in order to ensure that any legal actions are heard in the federal judicial district that is limited to Washington DC. That court has extensive experience with litigation related to the federal government and as such it is highly preferable for government agencies to have their cases heard there.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby jwhite07 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:59 am

Wasn't Amtrak's early-days HQ down around L'Enfant Plaza someplace?
jwhite07

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak