30th Anniversary of Chase, MD Wreck

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Tadman, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America

Re: 30th Anniversary of Chase, MD Wreck

Postby whatelyrailfan » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:46 pm

Alcochaser wrote:Pretty much completely Conrail's fault too.. crew was smoking weed in the cab. Freight engines on the NEC had no enforcement of cab signals ether. Just a whistle that was taped over.

This was pretty much the final straw that got Conrail chased off the NEC except where they had no other choice to move the traffic.

By 1988 Conrail shifted everything else it could off Amtrak property, and shut down lines like the Atglen and Susquehanna

I remember that crash VERY well, it happened the year after I graduated High School, and I remember thinking at the time that it's ASSHOLES like Gates and Cromwell that give pot smokers a bad name! They disabled the Cab Signals, probably because they were "Annoying" them with the "Noise". A good lesson to be learned: DON"T SMOKE POT ON THE JOB! KEEP IT AT HOME WHERE IT BELONGS! And don't forget that Gates was also a drunk, with DUI convictions. Conrail should have fired his dumb ass years before!
Peace,
Jonathan
whatelyrailfan

Postby ThirdRail7 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:08 pm

Greg Moore wrote:I find interesting the comments about him being a rat and how he never should have said anything about his fellow engineers/conductors doing drugs/being drunk.

I'm actually a HUGE fan of anonymous reporting on certain safety issues (NASA has a setup with airline pilots and I believe someone mentioned the FRA has something similar).
But I'm sorry, if you know someone is doing drugs on the job... rat their ass.

For better or for worse, he was considered a rat because he only "reformed" after the incident. Where was his concern prior to this accident? His conscience only bothered him when he was staring at investigators that were going to put him in the slammer. To save himself, he started singing. We can debate whether or not change would have come sooner or later or if it "was meant to be." However, call the situation exactly what it is...a person that was trying to get out from under a lengthy prison sentence by claiming " it's not my fault because everyone does it."
I want my road foreman!
ThirdRail7

Postby AgentSkelly » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:36 am

My understanding thru some friends in the trade regarding the the "rat" accusations are from select ex-CR now CSX employees that now don't like the fact they get pee tests because someone ruined the fun...
New Westminster to Amtrak 516, whats up with the extra 4 axles, over?
AgentSkelly

Postby USRailFan » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:08 am

AgentSkelly wrote:cut into the Superliner body

Amfleet, I'd think? AFAIK there's never been any Superliners on the NEC?
USRailFan

Postby AgentSkelly » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:21 am

USRailFan wrote:
AgentSkelly wrote:cut into the Superliner body

Amfleet, I'd think? AFAIK there's never been any Superliners on the NEC?

Yeah, I mean't Amfleet....however...the same issue did come with Superliners with early accidents as I recall too.
New Westminster to Amtrak 516, whats up with the extra 4 axles, over?
AgentSkelly

Postby frequentflyer » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:55 pm

There is a Trains article about the wreck and how surprised officials were on how well the Amfleet held up during the wreck. A testament to Budd.
frequentflyer

Postby n2cbo » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:58 pm

I was SUPPOSED to be on that train as I was going to pay a surprise visit to my relatives in Md. that weekend and would have been returning to NJ on that train. Instead, a friend of mine called up and the two of us went flying (I have a Private pilot License) down to Southern Virginia instead. On our way back I wondered what all the flashing lights were down on the ground north of Baltimore. When I got home, I remember turning on the news, and I think I turned white as a ghost when I heard what train it was...
n2cbo

Postby Nasadowsk » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:25 pm

frequentflyer wrote:There is a Trains article about the wreck and how surprised officials were on how well the Amfleet held up during the wreck. A testament to Budd.

Well, yeah, the body design was made to hold 30,000 lbs of propulsion guts under it. I doubt Budd chopped that out when they made the Amfleets. Then again, Budd liked to make all stainless bodies that were lighter than aluminum ones of the time, so who knows?
Nasadowsk

Previous

Return to Amtrak