30th Anniversary of Chase, MD Wreck

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Tadman, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America

30th Anniversary of Chase, MD Wreck

Postby NH2060 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:34 pm

Here's some archived aerial footage from WBAL-TV's YouTube channel. The video on its own shows just how nasty a collision it was :-(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOdHYX4o-wY
NH2060

Re: 30th Anniversary of Chase, MD "Colonial" Wreck

Postby MACTRAXX » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:55 pm

Everyone:

January 4th IS the 30th anniversary of the Chase, Maryland Amtrak #94 "Colonial" wreck.

One of the darkest days in the history of Amtrak's control of the Northeast Corridor...

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_Maryl ... _collision

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Re: 30th Anniversary of Chase, MD Wreck

Postby Alcochaser » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:17 pm

Pretty much completely Conrail's fault too.. crew was smoking weed in the cab. Freight engines on the NEC had no enforcement of cab signals ether. Just a whistle that was taped over.

This was pretty much the final straw that got Conrail chased off the NEC except where they had no other choice to move the traffic.

By 1988 Conrail shifted everything else it could off Amtrak property, and shut down lines like the Atglen and Susquehanna
Alcochaser

Postby east point » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:41 pm

IMO Amtrak cannot be blameless for this accident. The CR locos were on track 4 (?) that merged into track 3 just before the bridge. At one time PRR had a split rail derail that would take any train that over ran the stop signal on track 4 to go into a berm. Amtrak removed that split rail derail switch. That then allowed any over run on track 4 to proceed thru the connecting switch on track 3. CR locos did not stop on track 4 fouling track 3 in front of the Amtrak train.
east point

Postby STrRedWolf » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:46 am

east point wrote:IMO Amtrak cannot be blameless for this accident. The CR locos were on track 4 (?) that merged into track 3 just before the bridge. At one time PRR had a split rail derail that would take any train that over ran the stop signal on track 4 to go into a berm. Amtrak removed that split rail derail switch. That then allowed any over run on track 4 to proceed thru the connecting switch on track 3. CR locos did not stop on track 4 fouling track 3 in front of the Amtrak train.

And they weren't. Train 94 was running over the speed limit imposed by the equipment (105 MPH on Heritage equipment). Still wouldn't have mattered. If we talked about track interlocking equipment, then who forgot to put in derailer on the track 1/2 switch?
I ride the (MTA Maryland) Penn Line (between Odenton and Baltimore). I used to work for MTA Maryland's IT department, and out of professional courtesy my responses may be limited. Wikimapia is wonderful (for track/interlocking locations)!
STrRedWolf

Postby Alcochaser » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:49 am

STrRedWolf wrote:And they weren't. Train 94 was running over the speed limit imposed by the equipment (105 MPH on Heritage equipment).

There was some considerable debate over this. There was only a single heritage coach in the consist. Train 94 usually didn't have a heritage coach. In the end running at the Amfeet MAS vrs the Heritage MAS played no factor in the events.

The Conrail B36-7 trio blew threw a red at 60MPH with the crew on weed, this caused them to slide out into the path of an Amtrak heading the same direction.
Alcochaser

Postby scratchy » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:23 pm

Alcochaser wrote:
STrRedWolf wrote:And they weren't. Train 94 was running over the speed limit imposed by the equipment (105 MPH on Heritage equipment).

There was some considerable debate over this. There was only a single heritage coach in the consist. Train 94 usually didn't have a heritage coach. In the end running at the Amfeet MAS vrs the Heritage MAS played no factor in the events.

The Conrail B36-7 trio blew threw a red at 60MPH with the crew on weed, this caused them to slide out into the path of an Amtrak heading the same direction.

I seem to recall they were also drinking, and watching a Basketball game on a portable TV.
scratchy

Postby Alcochaser » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:34 pm

scratchy wrote:I seem to recall they were also drinking, and watching a Basketball game on a portable TV.

Drinking heavily the night before. The TV thing has been debunked however...
Alcochaser

Postby Alcochaser » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:36 pm

Ohh and in case your interested........

Not sure if this is really the guy or not.

http://cs.trains.com/trn/f/111/t/10404.aspx
Alcochaser

Postby Greg Moore » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:40 pm

I find interesting the comments about him being a rat and how he never should have said anything about his fellow engineers/conductors doing drugs/being drunk.

I'm actually a HUGE fan of anonymous reporting on certain safety issues (NASA has a setup with airline pilots and I believe someone mentioned the FRA has something similar).
But I'm sorry, if you know someone is doing drugs on the job... rat their ass.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby AgentSkelly » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:07 pm

I met a firefighter from Baltimore that worked on the rescue of passengers from that wreck; he was telling me that they had no prior expreience dealing with train equipment so when they tried to cut into the Superliner body so they actually broke several "jaws of life" extraction tools, which later on Amtrak now when there is a wreck, provides immediate information on where to cut on all its equipment.

When I was in HS several several years later, our school was looking for motivational speakers for a "Drug Awareness Week" kind of ordeal; I found out that Mr Ricky Gates was available thru a speakers bureau for talking about the consequences of using drugs. So I suggested him to the school adminstration; and of course they instead picked up some washed up Seattle Seahawks player from the 80s who used steroids...
New Westminster to Amtrak 516, whats up with the extra 4 axles, over?
AgentSkelly

Postby jhdeasy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:28 pm

I was traveling southbound from New York NY to Alexandria VA on The Silver Meteor on that fateful Sunday back in January 1987. We spent some considerable amount of time held at 30th Street Station in Philadelphia when we were told that there was a derailment, with significant injuries, blocking Amtrak's tracks north of Baltimore. Finally we backed up from 30th Street Station to Zoo Tower, possibly further, and we interchanged to the former B&O, which we then followed south to Washington Union Station. That was over a hundred new "rare" miles for me! I think I finally got to Alexandria about 4 hours late that night. I didn't know the full scope of the tragedy until the next day when I saw Monday's Washington Post with a special photo section headlined "The Wreck of The Colonial."
jhdeasy

Postby STrRedWolf » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:31 pm

jhdeasy wrote:I was traveling southbound from New York NY to Alexandria VA on The Silver Meteor on that fateful Sunday back in January 1987. We spent some considerable amount of time held at 30th Street Station in Philadelphia when we were told that there was a derailment, with significant injuries, blocking Amtrak's tracks north of Baltimore. Finally we backed up from 30th Street Station to Zoo Tower, possibly further, and we interchanged to the former B&O, which we then followed south to Washington Union Station. That was over a hundred new "rare" miles for me! I think I finally got to Alexandria about 4 hours late that night. I didn't know the full scope of the tragedy until the next day when I saw Monday's Washington Post with a special photo section headlined "The Wreck of The Colonial."

Okay, you got me interested, because CSX still has track going up into Delaware, and they got the B&O lines via Conrail...

Ahhh, from PHL you were backed all the way up past ZOO and crossed over at SHORE. From SHORE you went back down, passed 30th on the way down, skipped a ton of stops until you hit the CSX Bayview yard, where you could cross back over with a short reverse move back onto Amtrak rail via NS's Bayview yard. That would of been the closest switch-over past the wreck. You would have missed Wilmington, Newark, and Aberdeen at least. Did you stop at Baltimore Penn Station?
I ride the (MTA Maryland) Penn Line (between Odenton and Baltimore). I used to work for MTA Maryland's IT department, and out of professional courtesy my responses may be limited. Wikimapia is wonderful (for track/interlocking locations)!
STrRedWolf

Postby Return to Reading Company Olney Sta » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:22 pm

Or perhaps, at Zoo, took the Belmont connecting track (believe that connection at Zoo still in place in '87) and back onto the former Reading past Columbia bridge, cross Columbia bridge toward the City Branch and onto the former B&O at Park?

Either way would be rare mileage and be interesting to determine which taken.
Return to Reading Company Olney Sta

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:14 am

STrRedWolf wrote:Okay, you got me interested, because CSX still has track going up into Delaware, and they got the B&O lines via Conrail

Mr. Wolf, let it be noted that no B&O line was ever part of Conrail. The B&O "combination" route was first with the Chessie System with each road keeping their charter. At the same time (more or less) the Family Lines were being formed with the same structure. Family and Chessie then merged to form CSX "Chessie and Seaboard together" and the (guess) fifteen roads combined into CSX surrendered their charters.

The "slicing and dicing" of perfectly viable Conrail came later. Today the Shared Assets permits both CSX and NS to have equal access to industries in the NYC Phila and Balto areas as well as Detroit where CP also shares.

But to close Amtrak related, one of the Fall Excursions made that PRR-B&O physical interchange.

Strongly recommended reading (available through other retailers as well):

https://www.amazon.com/Men-Who-Loved-Tr ... 0253220319
Gilbert B Norman

Next

Return to Amtrak