Heritage Baggage Car: Status and Disposition

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: H-Bags; Anywhere?

Postby Matt Johnson » Tue May 17, 2016 8:24 pm

Boston bound train 66 came through Williamsburg today with a Heritage bag.
Matt Johnson

Postby ApproachMedium » Wed May 18, 2016 9:23 am

It went up Sunday with a heritage bag as well.
No good deed goes unpunished.
ApproachMedium

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Wed May 18, 2016 10:02 am

Is something not right or is something not right?

The 55 V-Bags first ordered were to have been enough to have them assigned to all existing Baggage lines; we'll at least that I was led to believe (or possibly led myself to believe).

Then the order of V-Bags was increased to 70, which I presume Amtrak did to save a buck or two over the like reduction of V-Dorms. Absent an increase of baggage service, there would be 15 cars "unassigned" or otherwise sitting around.

This leads one to think that the Bad Order rate on the V-Bags must be through the roof if H-Bags remain in revenue service rather than the worst becoming tool sheds and the best used for handling "CoMtl" (company material).

If these glorified "V" boxcars are sitting on shop tracks, then woe betide Amtrak when the 75 passenger carrying V's start to make the scene (whenever that may be).
Gilbert B Norman

Postby Greg Moore » Wed May 18, 2016 10:55 am

As I recall, a lot of the early bags were accepted with the knowledge that a number would have some fixes/changes made later (I think this included the folding shelves in particular).
So my guess is Amtrak has got as many running as they can, and a bunch shopped so they can make these changes.

I'd still love to see though an eventual expansion of baggage service though, even if it means keeping a few of the best heritage bags.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby ApproachMedium » Wed May 18, 2016 11:19 am

Yes most likely now that all of the LDSL bags are delivered, they are finally putting them thru the paces for the warranty mods needed to make them 100% delivery compliant. There were at least 25 defects per car and only a handful of them needed to be corrected in order for them to be safely put in service. The remainder of the mods would be done at a later date. You also probably have a bunch of them going in for periodic inspections as well. Mods are also subject to parts availability. Once this process is complete the heritage bags will probably return to storage.
ApproachMedium

Postby 8th Notch » Wed May 18, 2016 12:47 pm

The 1710 will be on 67 out of Bos this evening...
8th Notch

Postby mtuandrew » Wed May 18, 2016 1:10 pm

ApproachMedium wrote:It went up Sunday with a heritage bag as well.

Meant to mention that it went downbound (I saw it heading south to ALX at about 8am), but I was mostly off-forum this weekend.
mtuandrew

Postby Tadman » Wed May 18, 2016 2:02 pm

There is one in NOLA attached to a few coaches in the yard. Presumably this is a part of the next Crescent out. It's a coach conversion.
Tadman

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:50 pm

Observed an H-Bag in consist of #3 (2) today.

The same concerns I noted on May 18 still stand. Respecting that those with first hand knowledge are not authorized to discuss, let us hope amongst us "interested observers" that Amtrak wasn't sold a pile of junk. That there appear to be no planned deliveries of the 50 passenger carrying cars anytime soon leads this iconoclastic observer (I was a fan of JGK; he even quoted me once in a TRAINS column) to wonder.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby R30A » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:32 am

Gilbert B Norman wrote: The 55 V-Bags first ordered were to have been enough to have them assigned to all existing Baggage lines; we'll at least that I was led to believe (or possibly led myself to believe).

The 55 V-bags and 25 Bag-Dorms together were to replace the baggage cars. There were 64 active H-bags prior to the delivery of the Viewliners, and with the delivery of the new baggage cars, IINM they have added baggage cars to the full Sunset and Texas Eagle trains. While 70 should be enough to replace them all, there are certainly not extra new baggage cars lying around, and warranty repairs could easily result in a few Heritage cars being reactivated.

Gilbert B Norman wrote: The same concerns I noted on May 18 still stand. Respecting that those with first hand knowledge are not authorized to discuss, let us hope amongst us "interested observers" that Amtrak wasn't sold a pile of junk. That there appear to be no planned deliveries of the 50 passenger carrying cars anytime soon leads this iconoclastic observer (I was a fan of JGK; he even quoted me once in a TRAINS column) to wonder.
Gilbert B Norman wrote:Is something not right or is something not right?

As of a little over a month ago, Amtrak expected to have 2 diners in service by the end of the month. Such may have changed, but I don't think that qualifies as "no planned deliveries any time soon"
R30A

Postby SEPTA Fan 235 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:46 pm

My I caught train 66 with 1710 in Philidelphia a few weeks ago. At least that one is holding on. I had heard that the 1700 series baggage cars had structural flaws. Is this correct?
SEPTA Fan 235

Postby ApproachMedium » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:05 am

I had this that night i believe. And yes the structural integrity of the cars is slightly compromised by poor loading practices with the door in the center of the car instead of near the ends over the trucks like a normal baggage car.

There is an H bag and H diner coupled together on one of the leads stored in SSYD, not with the regular pool of shop/good cars. There is also about 5 of them at adams yard and still the 3 down by the wilmington training center.
ApproachMedium

Postby F40CFan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:38 pm

Looks like #7 is going out with H-bag 1710 today.
"No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously."
F40CFan

Postby Backshophoss » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:34 pm

H-Bag 1241 making it's last run on #4(4),enroute to Chicago,then to Beech Grove for storage,
View II Bag 61065 was the working Bag on #4(4) today
Backshophoss

Postby ACS64 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:52 am

I've seen one on the work trains on the Springfield Line. They must be using it as a storage car for material.
ACS64

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak