Ill Fated HHP-8s

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Ill Fated HHP-8s

Postby STrRedWolf » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:09 pm

Backshophoss wrote:Wilmington used to work on the MARC Hippo's,now it's BBD's problem to keep them running, Amtrak will not service MARC Hippo's.

I won't be surprised if some of the Wilmington staff were down in Ivy City or MSA bapping BBD's engineers on the nose on all the stuff they had to put up with on the MARC Hippo's.

That said, any word on how 4910's been running?
"The last and final stop is BALTIMORE PENN STATION." I can has MARC V?
STrRedWolf

Postby D.Carleton » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:10 pm

STrRedWolf wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:Wilmington used to work on the MARC Hippo's,now it's BBD's problem to keep them running, Amtrak will not service MARC Hippo's.

I won't be surprised if some of the Wilmington staff were down in Ivy City or MSA bapping BBD's engineers on the nose on all the stuff they had to put up with on the MARC Hippo's.

That said, any word on how 4910's been running?
Word is 4910 is running well and a second HHP-8 has entered the program.
D.Carleton

Postby Tadman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:26 pm

Given that space appears to be at a premium on the corridor yards, I'm a bit surprised the hippos don't get towed to Beech or even Silvis for contract storage and maintenance. The NRE guys at Silvis could do the 90 day inspections under contract, and now they're out of the way.
Tadman

Postby DutchRailnut » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:32 pm

they got 12.5 Kv and 25 Kv in silvis ?
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby ApproachMedium » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:27 pm

Bombardier must be doing the HHP work at Martins Airport. They have been doing some work over there to increase track capacity. Id imagine this is to store and possibly test the HHPs if they need a backshop.
No good deed goes unpunished.
ApproachMedium

Postby electricron » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:47 pm

ApproachMedium wrote:Bombardier must be doing the HHP work at Martins Airport. They have been doing some work over there to increase track capacity. Id imagine this is to store and possibly test the HHPs if they need a backshop.

Well, there are 15 ex-HHP8 locomotives they will probably wish to lease in the future once they get possession of them.
GO and Caltrains are looking a electrifying miles of tracks where these might find a home. Caltrains is buying EMUs, but who knows what GO might buy? If Bombardier can refurbish and modernize the 6 MARC HHP8 locomotives satisfactory, it’ll make the remaining 15 Amtrak locomotives more attractive.
MARC could eventually lease 4 or so more HHP8s to replace the 4 AEM7s they retired recently.
A few more could be used for spare parts sources. But I don't see MARC needing all 15 of them.
Last edited by electricron on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
electricron

Postby ApproachMedium » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:22 pm

CalTran is looking for something that will MU with a diesel loco with zero issues, something the amtrak HHP-8s do not do. Something an AEM7 AC does perfectly.
ApproachMedium

Postby mtuandrew » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:02 pm

Also something an ACS-64 can do - and CalTrans can take delivery at the factory if they want.

It’s MARC or bust for the Hippos... probably bust.
mtuandrew

Postby ApproachMedium » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:15 pm

Unless MARC decides that they want to really expand service, and takes on the Amtrak units after the lease is up. With BBD being "on the property" doing the MARC service an easy interchange of Martin airport facility or DC union could happen, keep the transport costs super low and make the incentive for MARC to pick them up even better. Now, how well the rebuilds work with cab cars and diesels IDK, but I guess we will find out. I have yet to get an internal review from one of the guys down there other than that "the cab looks exactly the same inside".

So we shall see.
ApproachMedium

Postby mtuandrew » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:20 am

It does seem like MARC could assume the lease of some Amtrak units if they wanted, but apparently they don’t want. I don’t blame them for not wanting to bring in more unicorns.
mtuandrew

Postby David Benton » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:24 am

A chance for BBD to restore its reputation in the USA, I guess. Will be interesting to watch this one.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby electricron » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:53 am

David Benton wrote:A chance for BBD to restore its reputation in the USA, I guess. Will be interesting to watch this one.

BBD's bad reputation was earned the easy way, treating it's main American customer with disdain. Winning legal disputes in a court of law doesn't make lasting partnerships with your legal opponents. It usually makes life-time enemies of them. :(
electricron

Postby STrRedWolf » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:16 am

electricron wrote:
David Benton wrote:A chance for BBD to restore its reputation in the USA, I guess. Will be interesting to watch this one.

BBD's bad reputation was earned the easy way, treating it's main American customer with disdain. Winning legal disputes in a court of law doesn't make lasting partnerships with your legal opponents. It usually makes life-time enemies of them. :(

Hopefully someone told BBD what happened with Budd and Maryland...
"The last and final stop is BALTIMORE PENN STATION." I can has MARC V?
STrRedWolf

Postby 8th Notch » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:37 am

mtuandrew wrote:Also something an ACS-64 can do.

On a good day... I’ve had several problems running them together on 67/66.
8th Notch

Postby Mackensen » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:18 am

STrRedWolf wrote:
Tadman wrote:That might be public info, try the google machine.

*googles*

Negative.

*bings*

Negative. There's a ton of results towards the mothballing and "a few years after the Sprinters come" mentions. But no actual purchase order or lease order.

That said, I think I can hash it out a bit. From just googling around, it looks like a standard lease term for locomotives is roughly 20 years. The HHP-8's entered service in 2000, so I'll assume the lease started there. That would mean those hippos would be around Bear for another three years or so, which jives with the "few years" mention since the Sprinters (ACS-64) started in 2014.

I'd suggest looking for recordations on the STB site; most leases are there. All the late 1990s documents refer to High Horsepower Locomotives (HHL); the HHP-8 designation comes around later.
Mackensen

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak