Ill Fated HHP-8s

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Ill Fated HHP-8s

Postby ApproachMedium » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:53 am

8th Notch wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:Also something an ACS-64 can do.

On a good day... I’ve had several problems running them together on 67/66.

The latest updates should have no problems. I have run a double header with the new software and its much better. I have used them with the work diesels multiple times and not had issues there either, though the work diesels are very simple.
No good deed goes unpunished.
ApproachMedium

Postby train2 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:54 pm

electricron,

You mentioned "MARC retiring 4 AEM7s recently." MARC was such a minority player with the AEM7s and they operated so sporadically I missed any news of them being retired. Is this official?

The Wiki page on AEM7s is a little wrong as the HHPs are still running:

While Amtrak was replacing its AEM-7s, MARC decided in 2015 to phase out its electric operations on the Penn Line altogether and retire both its AEM-7 and Bombardier–Alstom HHP-8 locomotives in favor of the Siemens Charger diesel locomotive.[41] The last of the MARC AEM-7s were retired by April 2017, with the Chargers expected to enter service by January 2018.[42] SEPTA will continue to use electric traction, replacing its seven AEM-7s and lone ABB ALP-44, an improved AEM-7, with the ACS-64 in 2018.[43][44] One unit has been preserved: ex-Amtrak No. 915, which was moved to the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in June 2015.[45]
train2

Postby STrRedWolf » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:13 pm

train2 wrote:electricron,

You mentioned "MARC retiring 4 AEM7s recently." MARC was such a minority player with the AEM7s and they operated so sporadically I missed any news of them being retired. Is this official?

While Amtrak was replacing its AEM-7s, MARC decided in 2015 to phase out its electric operations on the Penn Line altogether and retire both its AEM-7 and Bombardier–Alstom HHP-8 locomotives in favor of the Siemens Charger diesel locomotive.[41] The last of the MARC AEM-7s were retired by April 2017, with the Chargers expected to enter service by January 2018.[42] SEPTA will continue to use electric traction, replacing its seven AEM-7s and lone ABB ALP-44, an improved AEM-7, with the ACS-64 in 2018.[43][44] One unit has been preserved: ex-Amtrak No. 915, which was moved to the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in June 2015.[45]

It's not official. They're technically on "probation" while BBD works on them and gets them out of "shop queen" status. MARC wants 'em working better than their diesels or they get the ax for more Chargers.
"The last and final stop is BALTIMORE PENN STATION." I can has MARC V?
STrRedWolf

Postby ApproachMedium » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:02 pm

The MARC AEM-7s have been out of service for quite a while now. Amtrak AEM-7 ACs were taking their place for a bit.
ApproachMedium

Postby scratchy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:04 pm

Does anyone know if the Operating System was upgraded?
scratchy

Postby Matt Johnson » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:20 pm

ApproachMedium wrote:The MARC AEM-7s have been out of service for quite a while now. Amtrak AEM-7 ACs were taking their place for a bit.

I saw a recent photo of three MARC AEM-7s hanging out in DC, I believe at Ivy City, so at least three of the four are still on the property for now but I don't know if they're operable.
Matt Johnson

Postby train2 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:32 pm

STrRedWolf wrote:
train2 wrote:electricron,

It's not official. They're technically on "probation" while BBD works on them and gets them out of "shop queen" status. MARC wants 'em working better than their diesels or they get the ax for more Chargers.

Are speaking of the AEM7s here or the HHPs in this statement?
train2

Postby STrRedWolf » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:38 pm

The HHP-8’s are on probation (and are running on the line - had 4915 by me today). The AEM-7s are out to pasture.
STrRedWolf

Postby ApproachMedium » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:57 am

The operating system, at least for the POD and MFD appears the same interface as the original. Nothing changed on the user end.
ApproachMedium

Postby STrRedWolf » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:37 pm

MARC 409 today was hauled by a HHP-8 from what I could tell... and it was being pulled by the HHP-8 going south (wrong direction). Was that a working spare they had up in Baltimore? I didn't see the trailing engine, and I know from the MARC Alerts system that 409 had "mechanical trouble" up in Baltimore (and was 20-30 min late).
STrRedWolf

Postby ApproachMedium » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:51 pm

Most likely the cab car failed and they ran around they dont keep spare engines in baltimore.
ApproachMedium

Postby Matt Johnson » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:59 pm

David Benton wrote:A chance for BBD to restore its reputation in the USA, I guess. Will be interesting to watch this one.

I saw some rumor/speculation on another site that if the rebuild works out, Bombardier is hoping to sell the Amtrak units to GO Transit in Toronto when their Amtrak lease is up. I didn't realize that GO was planning to electrify, but if so, I suppose that might make some sense!
Matt Johnson

Postby David Benton » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:05 pm

I think they are looking to electrify one or two non freight lines. I do think its possible that these are actually not bad locos, that most of the problems stem from the bad relationship between BBD and Amtrak.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby DutchRailnut » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:11 pm

looking is key word, they have no concrete plans yet and by time the electrification happens the HHP-8's will die from metal fatigue.

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/pas ... -plan.html
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby ApproachMedium » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:40 am

David Benton wrote:I think they are looking to electrify one or two non freight lines. I do think its possible that these are actually not bad locos, that most of the problems stem from the bad relationship between BBD and Amtrak.

No way. These engines are actually crap. I ran them and i fixed them. They are total crap. They are so beyond outdated at this point, hell they were outdated the minute they hit the rails. The overhaul on the MARC unit seems to be doing well and has a new cooling system, one of the major issues with the HHP was cooling down. They would overheat and fry power modules in the summer as well as had a lot of problems with glycol leaks due to poor plumbing design not being able to withstand rough use.

By far these are the most difficult engines to replace almost any parts on. The cabs require excessive amounts of work to change things that should take under an hour because of their strange layout and piles of plastic. By comparison, the meatballs were far easier and less time consuming to repair for almost any running repair.
ApproachMedium

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak