AEM-7 status

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: AEM-7 status

Postby OrangeGrove » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:55 pm

ApproachMedium wrote:The other row should be all of the DC aem-7s. All of the HHP-8s are at the wilmington shops now it seems. Why I do not know. I do know they were taking them there one at a time to maintain the 92 day inspections. Hopefully its because the lease is up or something and they are getting rid of them.

The HHP-8 locomotives are contained in the same lease agreements as the Acela trainsets, for which the leases aren't up for a few years (4 or 5?) yet. Unless some sort of deal were reached (which seems rather unlikely) I would assume this is just for their regular maintenance (really a waste for engines which will never run again and whose future is the scrapper).
OrangeGrove

Re: AEM-7 status Nordic Re-Finance

Postby bengt » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:54 am

Probably Nordic Re-Finance are to buy 21 AEM7-locos.
bengt

Postby liftedjeep » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:35 pm

It was just brought to my attention by a colleague that AEM-7s #s 928 & 942 were purchased by the FRA/DOT, and are currently in Washington DC. They are to be sent out to Pueblo, CO. (all of the info i received)

I can't confirm or deny this, but was wondering if anyone has heard anything similar and can elaborate, or just write it off as more AEM-7 conjecture.
Ben
Check out my photo collection! : http://bkranefeld.rrpicturearchives.net
liftedjeep

Postby R30A » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:41 pm

I can not confirm where they are going, but have seen a photo of them in DC yesterday, so they did make it there.
R30A

Postby DutchRailnut » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:50 pm

if they indeed go to pueblo, it will be prep - crash - gone .
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby Backshophoss » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:18 pm

They have been "recycled" as "Crash Test Dummies",that's a real short lifespan at Pueblo. :(
Should be "named" as "Buster III and Buster IV" :P (with a nod to "Mythbusters")
Backshophoss

Postby liftedjeep » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:17 pm

liftedjeep wrote:It was just brought to my attention by a colleague that AEM-7s #s 928 & 942 were purchased by the FRA/DOT, and are currently in Washington DC. They are to be sent out to Pueblo, CO. (all of the info i received)

I can't confirm or deny this, but was wondering if anyone has heard anything similar and can elaborate, or just write it off as more AEM-7 conjecture.
Ben

Per a report, 928 & 942 left Washington DC today.
Ben
liftedjeep

Postby liftedjeep » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:06 pm

The two aforementioned AEM-7s were spotted today headed west through Indiana on Amtrak train #29.
Ben
liftedjeep

Postby Matt Johnson » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:59 pm

Backshophoss wrote:They have been "recycled" as "Crash Test Dummies",that's a real short lifespan at Pueblo. :(
Should be "named" as "Buster III and Buster IV" :P (with a nod to "Mythbusters")

Is it confirmed that they were acquired for crash testing? I thought it was because they wanted high speed electrics available for the test track. If the former, I'm curious, what's to be learned from crash testing an obsolete, out of service design?
Matt Johnson

Postby ngotwalt » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:14 pm

Everyone seems to think these two will be crash tested, but I have heard that Pueblo was looking for electrics, mainly because they don't have any and they need them from time to time for testing catenary and electrical delivery related technology, as well as for high speed testing.
Nick
ngotwalt

Postby Noel Weaver » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:41 pm

ngotwalt wrote:Everyone seems to think these two will be crash tested, but I have heard that Pueblo was looking for electrics, mainly because they don't have any and they need them from time to time for testing catenary and electrical delivery related technology, as well as for high speed testing.
Nick

This makes perfectly good sense to me. I suspect they are perfectly good locomotives with a few more good miles in them.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby Nasadowsk » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:09 pm

Matt Johnson wrote:
Is it confirmed that they were acquired for crash testing? I thought it was because they wanted high speed electrics available for the test track. If the former, I'm curious, what's to be learned from crash testing an obsolete, out of service design?

I suspect it's because they want high speed locomotives (for what? The US isn't exactly on the cutting edge of anything railroading faster than about 40mph...).

As for crashing an old design? Model validation - they know how it's built and they're there. Take a few, test a few scenarios and validate the modeling software...

(but you can use non functional units for this, since you just need to get them to speed somehow - Sandia used rockets when they did the nuke cask tests years ago)
Nasadowsk

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:26 am

I had similar questions when I read about the NJT Arrows being crash tested (some time ago but relatively recently...) I guess these explanations make sense, ha.
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Postby DutchRailnut » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:35 am

The AEM-7's are not crash test dummies, the AAR test center will use them for testing high voltage switch gear in service.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby east point » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:19 pm

Speculation. The AEM-7s may be modified for higher speed testing than 125 MPH ? They can be set up for remote operations on the track and the dynamics of higher speeds tested both by itself and pulling maybe even the Heritage bags ?
east point

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak