Amtrak On-Time Performance (OTP) Delays Reroutes Annulled

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Tadman, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America

Re: Amtrak On-Time Performance (OTP) Delays Reroutes Annulle

Postby STrRedWolf » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:09 pm

SouthernRailway wrote:So routes through the Southeast were cancelled yesterday through Monday, even though only lines in NC are seeing significant snow, and even though the snow should be melted enough today?

Is this Amtrak’s decision alone or did Amtrak have to cancel trains because NS and CSX shut down?

I have long planned on using the Crescent as a backup in case NYC- area airports are hit with bad weather but maybe that’s not a valid plan now.

It's usually NS/CSX if I remember the MARC trains correctly, but also usually due to staffing as well. CSX usually forces MARC to cancel those lines first, and Amtrak is last.
"The last and final stop is BALTIMORE PENN STATION." I can has MARC V?
STrRedWolf

Postby east point » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:20 pm

SouthernRailway wrote:So routes through the Southeast were cancelled yesterday through Monday, even though only lines in NC are seeing significant snow, and even though the snow should be melted enough today?

Have no idea where you live but NS is takeing it on the chin. broken down freights all over especially on the Crescent route. Snow is not going to melt soon + freeezing rain on top. Remember most NS locos are still DC traction motors that are much more prone to short out in snow. They don't have enough AC traction motors.
east point

Postby Bob Roberts » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:34 pm

SouthernRailway wrote:Is this Amtrak’s decision alone or did Amtrak have to cancel trains because NS and CSX shut down?

I am within earshot of the NS main in Charlotte. It was certainly less busy today, but they do have some stuff moving though town.

NCDOT blamed 'bad switch heaters' between Charlotte and Raleigh for the cancellation of the Piemonts
Last edited by Bob Roberts on Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Roberts

Postby mtuandrew » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:39 pm

east point wrote:Have no idea where you live but NS is takeing it on the chin. broken down freights all over especially on the Crescent route. Snow is not going to melt soon + freeezing rain on top. Remember most NS locos are still DC traction motors that are much more prone to short out in snow. They don't have enough AC traction motors.

Hadn’t thought about DC motors. Is that an issue for Amtrak too, or do they have better waterproofing on their Geneses? (P32ACDMs excluded of course)
mtuandrew

Postby SouthernRailway » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:51 pm

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the explanation. I still find it crazy- Metro-North wouldn't typically shut down in these conditions. As far as I know, at least.
SouthernRailway

Postby dgvrengineer » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:23 pm

I was watching the Ashland, VA railcam for a while today and CSX seemed to be running their normal number of trains through town. Seemed quiet without Amtrak. They were having a lot of snow but didn't seem to slow down the freights. It seems lately Amtrak has been canceling trains at the slightest hint of bad weather. So much for the all weather mode of transport.
dgvrengineer

Postby STrRedWolf » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:35 am

SouthernRailway wrote:Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the explanation. I still find it crazy- Metro-North wouldn't typically shut down in these conditions. As far as I know, at least.

Metro-North is New York/Conneticut area, which know how to deal with these situations and do it quickly. This is North Carolina and Virginia. Snow like this is rare -- I heard that an entire year's of snow got dumped over the weekend, upwards of two feet.
STrRedWolf

Postby ohioriverrailway » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:04 pm

29 (12) from the MARC website:
Update - MARC Brunswick Line 875 Delay
Buses will be provided at Duffields for Martinsburg passengers off MARC 875 and as needed for 879 and 881.

Train 875 (425 dpt. Union Station) is projected to encounter an extended delay at Duffields Station due to an Amtrak train P029 striking a Dump truck at Luther Jones Road. Incident just occurred and information is still forthcoming. Updates will be provided as the situation unfolds.

As a forward looking statement, if the delays extend long enough, MARC 879 & MARC 881 could be affected as well.
Rick H.
ohioriverrailway

Postby STrRedWolf » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:11 pm

29(12) delayed 2 hours and counting. MARC is sending buses for MARC 879/881 as of last email from them. Trying to pull any radio comms on them via Broadcastify...

HAZMAT
12/10/18 18:37 (BARDANE - TRS TAC 1; CMD1) DELAYED, PER COMMAND/INCIDENT COMMANDER; TRUCK VS AMTRAK TRAIN, 500 GAL SPILL FROM THE ENGINE, CHECKING 2 PTS; >100 ABOARD [VIR020]

...ohkay, that train's going to be stuck for a while until a few rescue engines can get up there. Track is clear and 881 is slowly moving through it.
STrRedWolf

Postby STrRedWolf » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:19 am

RANSON, W.V. (WLS) --
An Amtrak train on its way to Chicago from Washington, D.C., was delayed for more than three hours after striking a vehicle in West Virginia, officials said.

Amtrak officials said a vehicle was on the tracks in Ranson, West Virginia, west of Harpers Ferry, when it was struck by Amtrak Capital Limited Train 29 at about 5:35 p.m., EST.

None of the 108 passengers or crew members on board were injured in the crash, Amtrak officials said. Amtrak Police cooperated with local law enforcement in the investigation.

The train was moving again as of 8:15 p.m., and was delayed a total of three hours and 25 minutes.
STrRedWolf

Postby shlustig » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:58 am

Does anybody know why #59 (17th) southbound City of New Orleans lost 6'00" from CHI to Homewood????
shlustig

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:45 am

Mr. Lustig, here is the likely cause of the delay to 59(17).

Fair Use:

The two Chicago police officers scrambled up the embankment and walked south on the Metra tracks, keeping an eye on an approaching train as they searched for a shooting suspect Monday night on the Far South Side.

The noise from the train they saw apparently masked the sound of a train coming up fast behind them. The officers had “no idea” that train was approaching before it struck and killed them on a viaduct over 103rd Street, said police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi....
Gilbert B Norman

Postby STrRedWolf » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:57 pm

Amtrak takes the Metra Electric line out of town?
STrRedWolf

Postby Backshophoss » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:23 pm

METRA Electric was part of the IC in the past, the IC Mainline and the Suburban commuter service shared the ROW.
Amtrak would be on the former IC mainline tracks, NOT under the wire.
Backshophoss

Postby WhartonAndNorthern » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:24 pm

STrRedWolf wrote:
Amtrak takes the Metra Electric line out of town?

The ROW (per openrailwaymap) is EIGHT tracks wide for Metra Electric, Freight (ex-IC), and Amtrak. From the sat photo and street view it looks like 4 tracks are electrified there.
WhartonAndNorthern

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak