What exactly is a 'Viewliner'?

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Postby LSA493 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:36 pm

2301 (the Viewliner "diner") is still listed as active but I haven't heard of a sighting for a while. As I had noted in numerous posts on the old forum ad nauseum, the design and execution of the diner was (is) atrocious.
LSA493

Viewliners/Amfleets

Postby F59 PHI » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:38 pm

Viewliners when combined with amfleets actually are fairly streamlined. are you referring to the mismatching of both of those fleets to heritage cars?
F59 PHI

2300, 2301, 8400-- The viewliner Prototypes

Postby F59 PHI » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:40 pm

2300 and 2301 were the sleeper prototypes 2301 is now 62091, and 2300 MAY now be 62090.
8400 is the Viewdiner. it MAY have been renumbered to 68000 or 68400.
F59 PHI

Re: 2300, 2301, 8400-- The viewliner Prototypes

Postby RMadisonWI » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:16 am

F59 PHI wrote:2300 and 2301 were the sleeper prototypes 2301 is now 62091, and 2300 MAY now be 62090.
8400 is the Viewdiner. it MAY have been renumbered to 68000 or 68400.

I don't believe the Viewliner dining car has been renumbered. I'm almost certain it hasn't been in service in quite some time. I have not heard any reports of it being out there.

Does anybody know where it is?
RMadisonWI

Postby CNJ » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:31 am

I'm curious...would Viewliner cars be more practical to use over the entire Amtrak system than Superliners...assuming of course that there were more Viewliner cars to use??? :wink:
CNJ

Postby Greg Moore » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:43 pm

I don't think you'd gain much using Viewliners in place of Superliners.

A Superliner can carry more revenue paying passengers per car which is a definite plus. It's also geared to low-level platforms which is pretty much all you have on the LD routes. (The viewliners can obviously service these with trapdoors, but you don't gain anything by doing so and now have the added complexity of serving wheelshair bound passengers at such stations. (Superliners can do so with a simple ramp, Viewliners require a lift.)

One area where "more" Viewliners may help is in the simple sense that a larger order may be cheaper per car than a smaller order.
Greg Moore

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:35 am

As I have noted in the past at other Viewliner related topics, I believe any future single level sleeper should be configured with a "weighting' towards Bedrooms.

I believe we are all aware that Amtrak was certain they had 100 Viewliners "in the bag'. Such was not a wish list, it was assured.

Well, the appropriations process being such, 100 became 50. In response, Amtrak wisely configured the cars to sleep as many as possible. Since the existing fleet has plenty of service life remaining, and only the Cardinal has a single Viewliner assigned, I believe the next order, if there is to be such, should be configured 8BR-4R-Shower-Att. That comprises the tradtional Pullman "footprint' of eleven units prevalent through the "postwar" lightweight fleet.

To retierate my earlier thought at this topic, the Roomette is a one adult accomodation, even though I think it was wise to have any room configured with two bunks for use such as an adult and small child, two adolescents whose family has a Bedroom, or two adults who have been clearly warned by Amtrak they are signing up for an "indoor camping' experience.

I simply have been on too many Eastern trains over the years (I can't speak regarding Western trains as I really have no reason to travel out that way) and have heard the complaint 'Now who thinks that two of us are going to fit into THAT???" all too often.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby Trainer » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:30 pm

Having spent many days on Silver Service (sometimes on one trip! but that's another story), I'll agree that the standard bedroom is pretty cozy. If fact, if I travel with my wife, I'll book the Deluxe room, but if I'm with my girlfriend, the standard fits just fine :-)

Just kidding, honey!

Seriously, it's all what you're used to. Riding coach is much more relaxing than driving, and takes about the same time (on Silver Service, anyway). A standard room is a godsend compared to coach, but once you've tried Deluxe, it's hard to go backwards.

Personally, I think a standard is just fine, and though I'm not a small man, I like sleeping in the upper bunk, too. It's (almost) like having your own dome car...
Trainer

Postby John_Perkowski » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:06 pm

Mr Hensley,

Issue is capacity of a single unit:
SL car with every berth filled sleeps 44 (14 "roomettes", 5 BR, 1 Handicapped, 1 Family BR);
VL car with every berth filled sleeps 30 (12 "roomettes", 2 BR, 1 Handicapped).

Thus, to replace 2 superliners (88 pax), Amtrak would need 3 Viewliners (90 pax).

Mr Norman, Ms Bly or perhaps Mr Deasy can answer better here than I, but I suspect the decision to buy Superliners for the LD fleet was in part to reduce the number of carbodies in service.
~John Perkowski: Moderator: General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment
Assistant Administrator: Railroad.net/forums
Please don't feed the spammers! If you see spam, please notify a Moderator
John_Perkowski

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:36 pm

Praise (or blame) the Santa Fe Hi-Levels. I can recall reading TRAINS articles fifty years ago suggesting that, while they were taking Coach passenger comfort "to a new level', there was also inherent operating economies attained with the equipment.

It became a "best of both worlds' when the strong public acceptance of the equipment was evident; no wonder Amtrak chose to follow suit with two orders of Superliners and assign those cars on whatever routes possible (OK; some Cardinal, as in 50-51, fans will disagree).
Gilbert B Norman

Postby Antonio Luna » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:44 pm

Ill be in a Viewliner Roomette end of the month going from Chicago-NYC on the LSL. Cant wait as I have heard good things about these cars.

:P
Antonio Luna

Postby hsr_fan » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:09 pm

I think you'll enjoy the trip! I took a Viewliner from New York to Atlanta and back a couple of years ago. It was probably the smoothest riding car I've ever been on.
hsr_fan

Re: What exactly is a 'Viewliner'?

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:16 am

Of interest, and that I have not seen reported here at this Forum, is that there is at least one V-I out there, 62043, that after a shopping has come out with a name "New River" and in Phase III livery.

I thought the Phase III was going to only be applied to some V-II that would revert to Phase IV once shopped. Apparently it looks like Amtrak may be going there with the entire LDSL fleet.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:38 am

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Of interest, and that I have not seen reported here at this Forum, is that there is at least one V-I out there, 62043, that after a shopping has come out with a name "New River" and in Phase III livery.

I thought the Phase III was going to only be applied to some V-II that would revert to Phase IV once shopped. Apparently it looks like Amtrak may be going there with the entire LDSL fleet.

The V1 sleepers start going through midlife overhaul after the V2 supplemental sleepers all get accepted into service, so they'll all end up getting the updated livery of the V2 beds. Presumably that'll also include the Phase III repaint, so this unit might be a trial run for what all the V1's will all be sporting post-rebuild.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby JamesRR » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:49 pm

Weren't the Viewliners designed solely to accommodate the clearance issues of running on the NE Corridor?
JamesRR

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak