Station Developments

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Station Developments

Postby Alex M » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:10 pm

It is the phase before the existing station is leveled. The new station is up. The interior work needs to be done. The fixtures for the half platform are on site for installation once the platform is done.
Alex M

Postby STrRedWolf » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:54 pm

Update on BWI: The old station ticket office building is now stripped down to one wall, supporting girders, and a roof. Three walls have been torn down to the steel I-beams.

Traffic is still a mess. :)
"The last and final stop is BALTIMORE PENN STATION." I can has MARC V?
STrRedWolf

Postby gokeefe » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:29 pm

Good to see that project moving forward. Absolutely critical for the future of the NEC.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Arlington » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:47 pm

At BWI is there a temporary station? If so I'm guessing it is somehow built into the parking garage?
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby 2-C+C-2 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:22 pm

Arlington wrote:At BWI is there a temporary station? If so I'm guessing it is somehow built into the parking garage?

Yes temporary, but not in the parking garage. It's a couple of trailers side by side in the area just to the east of the far (north) end of the track one platform.

Restrooms are separate trailers between the station trailer and the old station building.

Wooden ramps and steps between everything to keep them accessible.
2-C+C-2

Postby STrRedWolf » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:50 pm

2-C+C-2 wrote:
Arlington wrote:At BWI is there a temporary station? If so I'm guessing it is somehow built into the parking garage?

Yes temporary, but not in the parking garage. It's a couple of trailers side by side in the area just to the east of the far (north) end of the track one platform.

Restrooms are separate trailers between the station trailer and the old station building.

Wooden ramps and steps between everything to keep them accessible.

I've been in the temp trailer station. It's not bad; the small lobby shop is at one end, ticket off the other, and a set of bathrooms in the middle that are handicap accessible.

Another trailer with bathrooms is there, but it's not handicap accessible.
"The last and final stop is BALTIMORE PENN STATION." I can has MARC V?
STrRedWolf

Postby superstar » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:53 pm

The contract to build the new Buffalo Exchange Street station has been awarded, with completion expected in late 2020. A news article has some artists' renderings.
superstar

Postby Station Aficionado » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:01 pm

Well, the supporters of BCT, including the local congressman will be disappointed, but this deal looks done. The drawings of the new station remind me a little of the new station at Rochester. It’s good they’re planning for possibility of more than the current 3x/day. One thing I don’t understand—they say the new station will be elevated. But the drawings show it level with the street—so elevated above what?

I don’t know that there will be any change to Depew in the near future, so the new Exchange St. will be the final piece of station revitalization on the Empire West corridor. Now, if they can add a frequency or two, maybe with one going to Cleveland... We can dream, I suppose.
Station Aficionado

Postby MACTRAXX » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:28 pm

SA (and Everyone:)

From reading the NYSDOT Press Release and viewing the artists renderings it looks to me that the
new BFX station will be higher off the ground then the current station - which I recall was lower in
elevation previously than street level - and will include a new high-level platform longer than the
current low-level platform. Keeping this Buffalo location looks like a good move for Empire Service.

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Previous

Return to Amtrak