Amtrak Springfield Line: Greenfield/Boston B&A Shuttle Svc

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Amtrak Springfield Line in CT incl. poss. Greenfield ext

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:51 am

shadyjay wrote:So who retracts the edge for an incoming freight? Station personnel? The freight crew itself? Do they get out and hit a button or just radio to the station agent to go out there and drop the edge?

And do all freights need it retracted? When the platforms at OSB were built "early in the 21st century", a gauntlet track was put in for the freights. But for at least 5-10 years, I don't think it's ever been used. What makes the decision to use the gauntlet vs the regular iron through a station with full highs?

Just for Plate F cars. Those are the only ones that won't clear a full-high that has so much as 1 degree of curvature in it because the cars are longer than Plates B-D freight cars and can be up to 17' tall, which both require allowances for more lateral movement on the axles. In cases like Hartford where there's a curve right up to the foot of the platform, but the full-high itself is tangent...there's still a harmonic rocking strike risk on the cars passing the tangent platform from the lateral movement of the freight cars 1 or 2 cars behind still rounding the curve. In all other cases where it's tangent track passing tangent platform it's reasonably safe to pass...but the freight train will get hit with a speed restriction to minimize its lateral movement. Hence, the gauntlets and passers being installed elsewhere as a traffic management measure...and the full passer that will be installed at the relocated Hartford station up the block in the I-84 trench.

The Springfield Line, now that it's getting its first-ever full-highs, is an analogue to the NEC in Rhode Island between Central Falls and Davisville after its retrofit for the FRIP track and the RIDOT infill stops. P&W autoracks currently pass restricted-speed through the single T.F. Green full-high platform as a temporary measure, but when full-build RIDOT commuter rail comes that stop will get a gauntlet installed and all of the other infills north of the Quonset turnout in Davisville will be done up with full passers so all traffic can go at full speed without getting entangled.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby Jeff Smith » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:12 am

jonnhrr wrote:In former NH territory Track 1 is westbound and track 2 is eastbound.

This is a north/south line; which track is on the western edge, and which on the eastern? Thanks.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby shadyjay » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:42 am

In 2-track sections... track 1 is the westernmost track and the track that's been in tact throughout the Springfield Line. Track 2 is the easternmost track and the one that has been relaid as part of this project.

In the early 1990s, Amtrak single-tracked the Springfield Line, removing Track 2 in most spots, but retaining it for various passing sidings, including through Meriden, in the Newington area, and in northern Windsor. Also, across the CT River Bridge in Windsor Locks, the Track 2 alignment was selected as the one operational track.

Now there are two tracks along most of the route between New Haven and just south of Windsor Locks, the only exception is through Hartford station where just Track 1 remains. Track 2 would've abutted right up against the Union Station building.
shadyjay

Postby Jeff Smith » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:02 am

Thanks, I can picture it now.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby Ridgefielder » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:21 pm

Just FYI- in general, on the ex-New Haven, "Westbound" = toward NY; "Eastbound" = toward Boston: even if the lay of the land means a train is actually heading compass north or south as the case may be.
Ridgefielder

Postby Kilo Echo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:59 am

While construction around it will be completed next month, the new Meriden station—replete with pedestrian bridge—opened officially on Sunday, 19 November.

http://www.nhhsrail.com/info_center/newsbriefs.aspx#ctrail_hartford_line_meriden_
Mind the gap
Kilo Echo

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:33 pm

Ridgefielder wrote:Just FYI- in general, on the ex-New Haven, "Westbound" = toward NY; "Eastbound" = toward Boston:

Mr. Ridgefield, in New Havenese , it was Esstward/Westward in both ETT and signage. Not sure what term is used in either Amtrak or MN ETT's
Gilbert B Norman

Postby asull85 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:29 pm

The Greenfield thing is now a definite. I'm unsure on the timeline but additional crews will begin qualifying shortly.
asull85

Postby gokeefe » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:56 pm

asull85 wrote:The Greenfield thing is now a definite. I'm unsure on the timeline but additional crews will begin qualifying shortly.

I know it's easy to take for granted but this kind of extension is nothing short of amazing. A few years ago Greenfield had no service at all. Now they're going to have corridor style shuttle service on top of the Vermonter.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Backshophoss » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:41 pm

MN New Haven line is Eastward to Fair st,Westward to New Rochelle/Woodlawn(as is the rest of the NEC)per their ETT.
Amtrak's Springfield line is northward to Springfield southward to New Haven per their ETT.
Backshophoss

Postby asull85 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:23 am

Effective 1/2/18 trains 490, 470, 476, 495, 493 and 479 will be reinstated.
asull85

Postby gprimr1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:25 pm

I"m guessing the trains will do a fast turn at Greenfield, unload passengers, load passengers,then leave, no idle time.

Or does Greenfield have a passing track now? I haven't been up there since they built the new station.
-Greg Primrose
Moderator: General Discussion: High Speed Rail Amtrak
"I'm leaving on a jet train, don't know when I'll be back again. Bags are packed and there ready to go."
Ave Atque Vale
gprimr1

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:04 pm

gprimr1 wrote:I"m guessing the trains will do a fast turn at Greenfield, unload passengers, load passengers,then leave, no idle time.

Or does Greenfield have a passing track now? I haven't been up there since they built the new station.

Yes. Conn River's a Plate F+ freight clearance route for Pan Am Southern, so all of the new full-high platforms have passers.

No layover space to be had around there so they won't be sticking around for long on turns. But short-term idling wouldn't block any thru traffic.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby asull85 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:54 pm

gprimr1 wrote:I"m guessing the trains will do a fast turn at Greenfield, unload passengers, load passengers,then leave, no idle time.

I believe the plan is for the morning trains to deadhead up to arrive 30min prior to departure and the run through to New Haven. The northbounds will discharge in Greenfield then deadhead back to Springfield. At least that was their plan a couple months ago.
asull85

Postby Palmer5RR » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:42 pm

asull85 wrote:Effective 1/2/18 trains 490, 470, 476, 495, 493 and 479 will be reinstated.

Are you saying all these trains will continue through Northampton to Greenfield daily starting Jan 2nd? If not is there any approximate timeline to starting service.
Palmer5RR

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak