Amtrak Springfield Line in CT incl. poss. Greenfield ext.

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Amtrak Springfield Line in CT incl. poss. Greenfield ext

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:55 pm

Let me ask this question. Are SLE trains supposed to connect to Amtrak trains at NHV, OSB, or NLC? No. Don’t expect that to happen for those people who want to switch at New Haven from an Amtrak train to a CTRail train. There will probably be enough time to connect between most trains at NHV.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby ebtmikado » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:23 pm

SLE trains are scheduled to connect with M-N trains at New Haven.
There's a downloadable PDF on the website:
http://www.shorelineeast.com/schedules
ebtmikado

Postby Backshophoss » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:22 pm

Amtrak Springfield shuttles connects to Amtrak at New Haven,believe the ConnDot's New Haven-Hartford service connects to MN at New Haven.
SLE connects to MN at New Haven and Stamford(select SLE trains).

A short wait will be needed to connect to Amtrak from ConnDOT's New Haven-Hartford service or from Amtrak to New Haven-Hartford service
at New Haven.
Backshophoss

Re: Springfield Line Upgrade in CT

Postby Kilo Echo » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:21 am

shadyjay wrote:Amtrak will be moving to the new CTRail commuter station in Wallingford, about a mile north of the existing station, effective 11/6/2017.

https://www.amtrak.com/alert/wallingfor ... -move.html

Apparently, the northbound platform at Meriden was opened about the same time—without all the fanfare. Among the reasons for Meriden's soft opening is a three-foot gap between the train and the platform that requires the conductor's emplacement of a bridge to allow passengers to alight or board safely. The track will be realigned erelong; the work is expected to take roughly three days.
Mind the gap
Kilo Echo

Postby daybeers » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:16 pm

So what is the work being done? Closing the gap?
daybeers

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:41 pm

No...shifting the track. The platform is in its final position, but the track is not. They'll bring in a track machine which literally picks the connected track up in midair then plops it back down...then they quickly re-tamp the affected stretch and it's all set.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby radio » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:25 pm

I was at the new Wallingford station today, and noticed that on track 2 they have installed a set of switches and a parallel track bringing the trains stopping there (?Northbound side only) closer by about 18 inches.
radio

Postby NH2060 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:47 pm

I believe that would be the gauntlet track, allowing for freight trains with wide loads to pass through the station area without fouling/striking the platform. Track 3 @ Old Saybrook has a gauntlet track as well.
NH2060

Postby Jehochman » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:35 pm

Hartford’s relatively new high level platform has a retractable edge for allowing freight trains through. I just road the Vermonter last week. The platform really speeds the unloading and loading. No more schlepping bags up steps.
Jehochman

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:58 pm

Hartford only has the retractable edge because the station's on a slight curve and there's enough potential for harmonic rocking on the consist from freight cars still rounding the curve to make the cars immediately passing the platform scrape it up. But that's just a temporary hack because they've now settled on moving the station up the street into a new rail cut when I-84 gets relocated, and will have a proper Providence-style freight passing track at the new platforms.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby Jeff Smith » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:23 pm

From west to east (or direction NB, if you prefer), which is Track 1 and which is Track 2?
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby jonnhrr » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:41 pm

In former NH territory Track 1 is westbound and track 2 is eastbound.
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby CVRA7 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Regarding rocking freight cars through the Hartford station - many years ago when I worked there I remember several occasions when the canopy edge was "trimmed" from what is now the single main track - this taking place mainly at the south (capital) end of the station.
New Station - I sure hope there will be 4 tracks plus the freight track through the new station for all the additional passenger trains planned.
Gauntlet tracks - The new gauntlet track at Berlin looked completed as of last week's visit.
CVRA7

Postby shadyjay » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:02 pm

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:Hartford only has the retractable edge because the station's on a slight curve and there's enough potential for harmonic rocking on the consist from freight cars still rounding the curve to make the cars immediately passing the platform scrape it up. But that's just a temporary hack because they've now settled on moving the station up the street into a new rail cut when I-84 gets relocated, and will have a proper Providence-style freight passing track at the new platforms.

So who retracts the edge for an incoming freight? Station personnel? The freight crew itself? Do they get out and hit a button or just radio to the station agent to go out there and drop the edge?

And do all freights need it retracted? When the platforms at OSB were built "early in the 21st century", a gauntlet track was put in for the freights. But for at least 5-10 years, I don't think it's ever been used. What makes the decision to use the gauntlet vs the regular iron through a station with full highs?
shadyjay

Postby CVRA7 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:41 pm

Regarding the platform edge at Hartford, the Operating dept would contact the Bridge & Building dept to move the platform edge prior to any over-dimension freight move. The station staff - the few that remain - doesn't touch it. (this is the way it was through Jan. 2017 when I was still working there)
CVRA7

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak