Amtrak Springfield Line Shuttle/Regional/Greenfield/Inland

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Re: Amtrak Springfield Line Shuttle/Regional/Greenfield/Inla

Postby lordsigma12345 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:34 pm

For those interested in the SPG-BOS discussion, there is a public meeting on March 12 in Springfield. Anyone interested let me know and I will provide more details.
lordsigma12345
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Re: Amtrak Springfield Line Shuttle/Regional/Greenfield/Inla

Postby daybeers » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:55 pm

lordsigma12345 wrote:For those interested in the SPG-BOS discussion, there is a public meeting on March 12 in Springfield. Anyone interested let me know and I will provide more details.

I am considering going to that, especially considering I've never been north of Windsor on the train.
daybeers
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:13 pm
Location: HFD

Re: Amtrak Springfield Line Shuttle/Regional/Greenfield/Inla

Postby daybeers » Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:47 pm

Is anyone else thinking of going to that meeting in SPG on the 12th? I was going to take 474 north from Hartford but I don't really want to spend an hour and 50 minutes waiting around in Springfield for 4415.
daybeers
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:13 pm
Location: HFD

Re: Amtrak Springfield Line Shuttle/Regional/Greenfield/Inla

Postby lordsigma12345 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:59 pm

there are some good restaurants nearby where you could kill the time..... let me know if you’d like suggestions.

I will almost definitely be going to that although I live locally so will just be driving.
lordsigma12345
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Re: Amtrak Springfield Line Shuttle/Regional/Greenfield/Inla

Postby Kilo Echo » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:31 am

MassDOT has posted its slides from the March 12 public meeting in Springfield. As expected, most of them are content-free.

https://www.mass.gov/files/documents/2019/03/21/EWR_PubMtg1_Mar122019_Pres_0.pdf
Mind the gap
User avatar
Kilo Echo
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:54 pm

Re: Amtrak Springfield Line Shuttle/Regional/Greenfield/Inla

Postby BandA » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:54 am

There's some pretty & pretty useful maps in this East-West proposal document - MAS of existing line, MAS of the proposed, where it's single tracked, where wetlands <500 ft, comparison with the Ma$$ Turnpike route...

What struck me is going from WOR to SPG will double the length of the Worcester Line, with much fewer passengers. The thing that makes this viable is the network effect connections at SPG to NHHS Line & Montreal/Vermonter/Greenfield, and "synergy" with the Lake Shore Limited, if you can get that from a one-a-day. I love that they mentioned maglev as a possibility! The buses seems like a non-starter unless they add HOV lanes to the Pike. This is an Amtrak forum, for this project to work it needs support from Amtrak but the bulk of the passengers will be in-state Commuter Rail type operation.
User avatar
BandA
 
Posts: 2621
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:47 am

Re: Amtrak Springfield Line Shuttle/Regional/Greenfield/Inla

Postby Safetee » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:02 am

Well, I will say that this multi faceted east west study did not waste any time on the other possible east west gateway from Greenfield which offers far better service/connections to cambridge, mass general and the downeaster service.

Beyond that believe me, AMTRAK is a major if not the major driving force behind the springfield gateway. How can I say that? Very Easy. Amtrak management believes in global warming and rising seas. There is real concern that that portion of the track that runs through Rhode Island is going to be perpetually threatened/inundated with tidal waters. Consequently as of right now the Springfield route is their best plan b to insure continued corridor service to and from Boston.
Safetee
 
Posts: 274
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:07 am

Re: Amtrak Springfield Line Shuttle/Regional/Greenfield/Inla

Postby BandA » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:19 pm

The Inland Route provides useful redundancy for Amtrak that could be used if there is a strong storm or hurricane, or construction or if the Shore Line is over capacity. Is the Shore Line capacity-constrained between NHV & PVD? There might be some capacity relief vs. PVD-BOS CR operations, although the Worcester Line will become more capacity-constrained in the future.

Amtrak can easily raise the Shore Line to compensate for routine sea level rise, so that's not going to be the focus for the next 50 years.
User avatar
BandA
 
Posts: 2621
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:47 am

Re: Amtrak Springfield Line Shuttle/Regional/Greenfield/Inla

Postby Suburban Station » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:49 pm

BandA wrote:The Inland Route provides useful redundancy for Amtrak that could be used if there is a strong storm or hurricane, or construction or if the Shore Line is over capacity. Is the Shore Line capacity-constrained between NHV & PVD? There might be some capacity relief vs. PVD-BOS CR operations, although the Worcester Line will become more capacity-constrained in the future.

Amtrak can easily raise the Shore Line to compensate for routine sea level rise, so that's not going to be the focus for the next 50 years.

The number of trains to boston is definitely constrained and the Inland route is a sizable market in it's own right.
Suburban Station
 
Posts: 3292
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:11 pm

Re: Amtrak Springfield Line Shuttle/Regional/Greenfield/Inla

Postby Kilo Echo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:09 am

BandA wrote:Amtrak can easily raise the Shore Line to compensate for routine sea level rise, …

After all the wealthy NIMBYs have been flooded out of their homes?
Mind the gap
User avatar
Kilo Echo
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:54 pm

Re: Amtrak Springfield Line Shuttle/Regional/Greenfield/Inla

Postby NRGeep » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:35 am

Kilo Echo wrote:
BandA wrote:Amtrak can easily raise the Shore Line to compensate for routine sea level rise, …

After all the wealthy NIMBYs have been flooded out of their homes?


FAKE FLOODS!
:wink:
NRGeep
 
Posts: 1052
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:33 pm

Re: Amtrak Springfield Line Shuttle/Regional/Greenfield/Inla

Postby daybeers » Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:38 pm

NEC North, especially NHV to Westerly, RI, is very capacity constrained due to the very old bridges and terrible curves in Connecticut. Between Amtrak and Shore Line East, I believe it's currently running at full capacity.
BandA wrote:Amtrak can easily raise the Shore Line to compensate for routine sea level rise, so that's not going to be the focus for the next 50 years.
What?!? Please explain. The tracks are as close to the water as the Pacific Surfliner route in some places, and it's electrified. Here is a very interesting article on sea level rise along the Northeast Corridor. TL;DR: A large portion of the trackage is in danger.
daybeers
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:13 pm
Location: HFD

Re: Amtrak Springfield Line Shuttle/Regional/Greenfield/Inla

Postby Kilo Echo » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:16 am

WWLP reports on the progress of the NHT platform extension: Expansion project for Northampton's train platform begins.
Mind the gap
User avatar
Kilo Echo
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:54 pm

Re: Amtrak Springfield Line Shuttle/Regional/Greenfield/Inla

Postby BandA » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:28 pm

daybeers wrote:NEC North, especially NHV to Westerly, RI, is very capacity constrained due to the very old bridges and terrible curves in Connecticut. Between Amtrak and Shore Line East, I believe it's currently running at full capacity.
BandA wrote:Amtrak can easily raise the Shore Line to compensate for routine sea level rise, so that's not going to be the focus for the next 50 years.
What?!? Please explain. The tracks are as close to the water as the Pacific Surfliner route in some places, and it's electrified. Here is a very interesting article on sea level rise along the Northeast Corridor. TL;DR: A large portion of the trackage is in danger.
So we are talking about roughly a two-foot sea level rise by ~2069, on top of the 5"-8" rise since 1900, although this is really a guestimate. The linked Bloomberg article talks about $78M, which is not much over 50 years plus the track will have to be renewed anyway during that time. Imagine if they add six inches of ballast every 10 years, and need new seawalls in some areas, and have to add 2-4 feet of dirt/ballast to all their coastal yards. Interestingly, sea level is 400 feet higher than the last glacial maximum in 14000 BC. Biggest problem will be damage from 1 to 3 major hurricanes.
User avatar
BandA
 
Posts: 2621
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:47 am

Re: Amtrak Springfield Line Shuttle/Regional/Greenfield/Inla

Postby ebtmikado » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:29 am

There are several areas in and east of New Haven, on the Shore Line which already flood quite often during heavy storms.
It can only get worse.
Lee
ebtmikado
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:55 am
Location: Madison, CT

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jlichyen and 5 guests