Amtrak Springfield Line in CT incl. poss. Greenfield ext.

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Amtrak Springfield Line in CT incl. poss. Greenfield ext.

Postby twropr » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:00 am

Since the New Haven-Hartford-Springfield website is now showing that "realignment of existing Track One (to) straighten out track curves to achieve higher speeds" at North Haven, Wallingford and Hartford with construction date of "Spring 2014", I thought it would be good to start a new topic, so that actual progress by observers can be reported.
The CT plan also calls for grading of the roadbed to support the restoration of TK 2 between Cedar and ?Hart, and for construction of new stations at Berlin, Meriden and Wallingford.

Andy
Jacksonville, FL

Admin note:

Vermonter discussed here: Amtrak Vermonter (Montreal Greenfield Boston CT River Line)

Pan Am Connecticut River line discussed here: Connecticut River Line (Pan Am)
twropr

Re: Springfield Line Upgrade in CT

Postby shadyjay » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:01 pm

There is a website... http://nhhsrail.com/ which posts some pics, so far its just been of the cable installation.

Berlin and Meriden will be getting new platforms and "up and overs", while Wallingford will be a completely new station to the north.

These upgrades are all long overdue and I feel that the service will be well patronized. Still I don't know why Amtrak just won't drop the shuttle trains when this service begins. ConnDOT already subsidizes the short 62-mile run, but if a NB mainline regional is running late, it's connecting shuttle at NHV is delayed as well. Right there are two reasons why the shuttles should just be dropped completely. But that's just me. And we still have 2+ years to go before service begins, so things COULD change.
shadyjay

Postby The EGE » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:29 pm

CDOT needs to through-ticket with Amtrak if the Shuttles are to be integrated into NHHS service. There is no reason that you shouldn't be able to buy a single ticket from, say, New York Penn to Berlin, with a change from Amtrak to NHHS at New Haven.
The EGE

Postby MattW » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:41 pm

The EGE wrote:CDOT needs to through-ticket with Amtrak if the Shuttles are to be integrated into NHHS service. There is no reason that you shouldn't be able to buy a single ticket from, say, New York Penn to Berlin, with a change from Amtrak to NHHS at New Haven.

Frankly there is no reason that you shouldn't be able to buy a single ticket from, say Salem, MA to Avondale Estates, GA on MBTA, Amtrak, Amtrak, and MARTA, but that's a discussion for another thread. But I find it an example of the sad state of current affairs that the best we hope for is through-ticketing between two services that already parallel each other.
MattW

Postby shadyjay » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:15 pm

The EGE wrote:CDOT needs to through-ticket with Amtrak if the Shuttles are to be integrated into NHHS service. There is no reason that you shouldn't be able to buy a single ticket from, say, New York Penn to Berlin, with a change from Amtrak to NHHS at New Haven.

Guess it'll all come down to who will be the contract operator for the service. If Amtrak is to run it, I can see through ticketing. Just look at how SLE monthly passholders can ride certain Amtrak trains between NLC and NHV. But another operator of the service may not cooperate with the cross-honoring. If that happens, all the more reason to make the two services separate.
shadyjay

Postby ThirdRail7 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:05 pm

shadyjay wrote:There is a website... http://nhhsrail.com/ which posts some pics, so far its just been of the cable installation.

The ticketing and operating provider conversation aside, I understand cable installation is the first step towards new signals and grade crossing equipment for the territory. Additionally, they had to relocate existing fiber optic lines along the right of way.
I want my road foreman!
ThirdRail7

Postby BM6569 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:14 pm

twropr wrote:Since the New Haven-Hartford-Springfield website is now showing that "realignment of existing Track One (to) straighten out track curves to achieve higher speeds" at North Haven, Wallingford and Hartford with construction date of "Spring 2014", I thought it would be good to start a new topic, so that actual progress by observers can be reported.
The CT plan also calls for grading of the roadbed to support the restoration of TK 2 between Cedar and ?Hart, and for construction of new stations at Berlin, Meriden and Wallingford.

Andy
Jacksonville, FL

The realignment would keep space for a future track 2, right?
BM6569

Postby BandA » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:48 am

I never realized how much was involved with signal installation.
BandA

Postby CHTT1 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:58 am

I would think the increased commuter service would mean the end of the shuttles. Amtrak would continue to run the Vermonter and perhaps two or so regionals that would run through to Boston via the Inland Route. Through ticketing between Amtrak and the commuter line would be a necessity. Through ticketing with other commuter services around the nation is something that should be implemented. At one time, this would be pretty complicated, but with today's computerized tickets, it shouldn't be that hard.
I don't see through ticketing with heavy rail/light rail urban routes, however, due to the complexity with the various ticketing procedures which are basically unique to each urban system.
CHTT1

Postby shadyjay » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:37 am

BM6569 wrote:The realignment would keep space for a future track 2, right?

Yes, Track 2 will be going back in, I believe from North Haven to south of Hartford and from north of Hartford to Windsor, and eventually to Enfield. But for now I'm pretty sure the Hartford Viaduct and Conn River Bridge will remain single track.
shadyjay

Postby dowlingm » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:50 pm

shadyjay wrote:

Guess it'll all come down to who will be the contract operator for the service. If Amtrak is to run it, I can see through ticketing. Just look at how SLE monthly passholders can ride certain Amtrak trains between NLC and NHV. But another operator of the service may not cooperate with the cross-honoring.
the decision should be ConnDOT's and a condition of operator contract - no ifs ands or buts. VIA Rail have been pushing intermodal for the last few years, though its engine seems to be freaked out by a 3 agency ride (say Pickering GO to McMasterville AMT via Oshawa-Montreal Central VIA)
dowlingm

Postby theozno » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:08 pm

I can't wait for the faster speeds especially to and from Vermont. I doubt we will ever have Dual mode locomotives for Overhead wire to Diesel to get rid of the changeover in new haven.
iPhone 5 with Verizon Unlimited Data plan
theozno

Postby Jehochman » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:06 am

There's a lot of construction along the right of way. Last night I saw segments of new track stacked up. There's been drainage work, fences, retaining walls and all the busway construction. Most of the signal cable appears to be done, at least south of Hartford.
Jehochman

Postby gprimr1 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:52 am

Why discontinue the shuttles? Make the shuttles a limited stop alternative to the commuter rail. People will usually pay more to get their faster.
-Greg Primrose
Moderator: General Discussion: High Speed Rail Amtrak
"I'm leaving on a jet train, don't know when I'll be back again. Bags are packed and there ready to go."
Ave Atque Vale
gprimr1

Postby theozno » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:21 am

gprimr1 wrote:Why discontinue the shuttles? Make the shuttles a limited stop alternative to the commuter rail. People will usually pay more to get their faster

you mention that. a good example of this right now is 479. It just misses 1595 and there must be 20 of us from that train stuck until 1597 leaves 1 hour later from that shuttle while the others another 20 or so take 179 to NY but like hell If I'm paying $50 to go to Stamford so I sit and wait. I have mentioned this to both Amtrak and MNRR in customer service suggestions. thats all I can do.
iPhone 5 with Verizon Unlimited Data plan
theozno

Next

Return to Amtrak