Siemens Charger Locomotives

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Siemens Charger Locomotives

Postby RocketJet » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:22 pm

Do we know anything about whether or not these will be any quieter than the GE Genesis or the EMD F59PHI? They certainly look sleek, and given how much easier the transition has been on the NEC to ACS versus the HHP-8 and the Acela, I'm pretty optimistic about the Chargers. They certainly should be better than the EMD's Amtrak has been using on the California and Cascades routes.
RocketJet

Postby Fan Railer » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:50 pm

RocketJet wrote:Do we know anything about whether or not these will be any quieter than the GE Genesis or the EMD F59PHI? They certainly look sleek, and given how much easier the transition has been on the NEC to ACS versus the HHP-8 and the Acela, I'm pretty optimistic about the Chargers. They certainly should be better than the EMD's Amtrak has been using on the California and Cascades routes.

I don't think so yet. The first QSK95 testbed loco (SD90MAC CECX 1919) hasn't been fired up yet. Last I heard, it's still undergoing electrical wiring work. We'll have a better idea of how the Charger locomotives will sound after they spin up 1919 for the first time later this year.

Ultimately though, I don't think the volume reduction is going to be very substantial (if there is any reduction at all). The ALP-45DPs (fitted with CAT high speed diesels) certainly roar away while in diesel mode, although it's a different type of loud than a traditional medium speed prime mover powered locomotive like the Genesis or PL42AC.
Fan Railer

Postby Matt Johnson » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:35 pm

Any idea when we might start seeing some actual hardware from either this or the bilevel order?
Matt Johnson

Postby Fan Railer » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:12 pm

Matt Johnson wrote:Any idea when we might start seeing some actual hardware from either this or the bilevel order?

I think it's safe to say that the Charger order is queued up behind the Sprinter order; so after the Sprinter order is complete. I estimate we'll see the first prototypes roll off the production line somewhere around mid-2016 (+/- a few months). The bilevel order is for another thread.
Fan Railer

Postby afiggatt » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:25 pm

Fan Railer wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:Any idea when we might start seeing some actual hardware from either this or the bilevel order?

I think it's safe to say that the Charger order is queued up behind the Sprinter order; so after the Sprinter order is complete. I estimate we'll see the first prototypes roll off the production line somewhere around mid-2016 (+/- a few months). The bilevel order is for another thread.

Don't forget that Siemens is also building Charger locomotives for All Aboard Florida. AAF is publicly aiming for start of revenue service for the Miami to West Palm Beach segment by the end of 2016. In order to make the September, 2017 deadline for spending the stimulus funding portion, which is the hard deadline, I think Siemens will have to have the first units delivered for testing to the states by no later than early 2016.
afiggatt

Postby David Benton » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:02 pm

Fan Railer wrote:

Are they been made in the same factory?
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby Backshophoss » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:28 pm

The ACS-64's were built at Sacramento Ca,if the "Charger" is to be built(the prime mover is still a R+D project)
it will be at the same factory.
Backshophoss

Postby David Benton » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:36 am

Thanks,for some reason I thought they were going to be built in the Chicago area.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby Backshophoss » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:50 am

The 2nd gen "Surfliners" and the midwest corridor fleet is being built at Rockford IL(Nippon)
as (hopefully) the 3rd gen Superliners for Amtrak will get built there.
Backshophoss

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:31 am

Mr. Backshop; Rochelle vice Rockford.

The facility is quite visible to traffic passing by on either I-39 or I-88 as it is located at the interchange between these highways.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby gokeefe » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:18 pm

David Benton wrote:Thanks,for some reason I thought they were going to be built in the Chicago area.

Pretty sure that's where the power plant is coming from. Cummins is in Indiana. Final assembly by Siemens in CA.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby ApproachMedium » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:09 pm

I feel like they are putting the cart before the horse here. Literally.
No good deed goes unpunished.
ApproachMedium

Postby Backshophoss » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:41 am

Since the test engine has yet to fire up,might be quiet at Sacramento after the last ACS-64 heads east,
unless there's plans to build full size mock ups.
Backshophoss

Postby DURR5017116 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:27 am

ApproachMedium wrote:I feel like they are putting the cart before the horse here. Literally.

How so? I know that's kind a weird coming from the guy who previously argued these engines would flop, but I've gotten used to the idea that these engines will soon exist.
DURR5017116

Postby ApproachMedium » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:57 am

Because there are railroads banking on that this thing will exist and run. Its been sold, the contracts have been signed. And the engine that will go inside of this locomotive has not even been turned over in any kind of service yet. As far as we know its been sitting waiting to be used. How can you sell someone a locomotive based on engine technology that has not even turned a wheel yet? Is there a backup plan? Some older prime mover that could work? EMD 710ECO? The two big manufactures of diesel electric locomotives cant even get a Tier 4 engine to function properly. What makes you think that Cummins, with zero full scale locomotive experience is going to just walk in the door and go LOOK WHAT I DID! and its going to just work, with no problems.

The rest of the locomotive, an ACS64 body, propulsion controls trucks etc. is already working proving itself (I will not say totally proven yet) therefore the proverbial cart being all that and the horse being the engine itself.
No good deed goes unpunished.
ApproachMedium

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak