Michigan Central Station

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: ATK can still use Michigan Central Station

Postby MACTRAXX » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:01 am

NS VIA Fan:

Mixing Amtrak and VIA equipment is what made the Chicago-Toronto International a interesting train operation...

I remember seeing a picture of a VIA LRC locomotive pulling Amtrak Superliners - this service usually would
use a locomotive from Amtrak along with VIA cars or vice versa...

There were ten Amtrak LRC cars - along with two LRC locomotives - and were used in Amtrak service on the
NEC between New Haven and Boston on a train named the "Beacon Hill" for a time in the 80s...
This equipment would eventually be phased out of Amtrak service and sent to VIA Rail Canada...

These ten LRC cars would be regularly be used on the International because they were Amtrak compatible
and their easy spotting feature were their two piece windows - VIA LRC cars use single windows...

Everyone:

For the subject of Windsor-Detroit a easy service change for connecting bus service could be to extend or
operate some Windsor Transit tunnel buses to connect both stations at convenient times to allow transfers
to be made between Amtrak and VIA trains...

The Detroit-Windsor rail tunnel has been upgraded in recent years by CP to allow larger freight cars to clear
the interior of this tunnel - and would allow all passenger equipment from both Amtrak and VIA to be used
but now knowing the problems of using this tunnel for through passenger service dedicated connecting bus
service is the cheapest and easiest alternative here to cross the border...

There is a video posted at YouTube titled "CP Rail Detroit Windsor Tunnel Enlargement" which was posted by
Brianncowan on 12/15/2012 - the length is 8:58 - explaining CP's 1994 project to enlarge this tunnel to
accomodate double stack container trains...

For the Transit Windsor Tunnel Bus Service see:
http://www.citywindsor.ca/residents/tra ... troit.aspx

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Postby TrainPhotos » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:43 am

If the tunnel is plate H, what is the stumbling block for service restoration?
Train approaching, please stand back.
TrainPhotos

Postby dowlingm » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:46 pm

The Superliners were removed from the International after this:
http://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-repor ... 9s0100.asp
dowlingm

Postby JimBoylan » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:48 pm

Possibly this problem was resolved:
Amtrak and VIA Rail have restricted the stainless steel superliner equipment for use in Canada. The Heritage and AM Fleet 2 equipment, which does not present the problem of locked wheelchair-accessible washrooms, has now been introduced to this service.
The last through Westbound International did use Superliner cars. There is an Internet photo showing them coupled to the deadheading single level Via cars to be used for the replacement local train in Canada.
JimBoylan

Postby dowlingm » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:55 pm

Didn't know that Jim, thanks.
dowlingm

Re: Michigan Central Station

Postby Jeff Smith » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:31 pm

ADMIN: <bump> don't mind me.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby Dreezy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:38 pm

I'll bite. I think Michigan Central Station could be an opportunity for some real estate developer. I recall something that one of my college professors once said. He mused once during class about how he wished he had a little extra money to buy some vacant land in Detroit. He said that he thought that Detroit was eventually going to come around, and that there's money to be made for people who own plots in the city. I think MCS could be such an opportunity. There are other buildings nearby (a book depository, an old post office building, and another empty office building) that could be repurposed. A renovated MCS with office space, shopping, and Amtrak and VIA service could anchor a neighborhood renewal project. I am not as familiar with Detroit I would like to be, though.
Dreezy

Postby gokeefe » Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:54 pm

All new windows installed at the very end of last year. Surprised it wasn't reported here. Here's the article:

DETROIT - It's far from renovated, but Michigan Central Station in Detroit certainly received a facelift.

A spokeswoman for the Detroit International Bridge Company, owned by the Moroun family, said all the windows in the train station have been replaced.

The massive project was completed on Dec. 31, 2015, according to a press release from Chamberlain Glass and Metal, Inc., the St. Clair, Mich.-based company that won the bid for the renovation.
Chamberlain reports all 1,050 windows were replaced on time and on budget.

Very interesting news ...
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby John_Perkowski » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:15 pm

Sounds like the Moroun family is interested in managing taxes by managing land with Detroit. I would seriously doubt this building will ever see railroad service again.
~John Perkowski: Moderator: General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment
Assistant Administrator: Railroad.net/forums
Please don't feed the spammers! If you see spam, please notify a Moderator
John_Perkowski

Postby Tadman » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:44 pm

I went past MCS yesterday. Still a very grubby dark place with new windows. My wife was with me and I explained a bit about the place. Today we boarded 353 at the local Amshack in New Center (detroit station) and she was like "wtf with the dumpy station?".
Tadman

Postby gokeefe » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:54 pm

John_Perkowski wrote:Sounds like the Moroun family is interested in managing taxes by managing land with Detroit. I would seriously doubt this building will ever see railroad service again.

I felt much the same way myself ... And then I looked at Google Maps ...

It's much closer to the slowly revitalizing downtown core and has other potential advantages ... Correct me if I'm wrong Amtrak does not serve any stations beyond Detroit on any route right?

I agree that it's potential use for future Amtrak service is very much in doubt ... But now it's $12 million dollars less in doubt ... Hard to ignore that kind of cold hard cash ...
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:25 pm

Mr. Dunville, the Mrs.' comment could be taken two ways; "wtf with THIS dumpy station" or conversely "wtf with THAT dumpy station"?

I was in Detroit this past October, and I drove by MCS on I-75 to Toledo. I did note the new windows; maybe the owner will go two steps beyond - sandblast the exterior and then get some soft Blue night floodlights to surround the place.

Detroit is coming back! abandoned buildings, such as the Book-Cadillac Hotel are being restored in Downtown (I stayed at Marriott Renaissance Center this trip; had a fistful of Marriott points to burn off). While I think at 105 Sq mi, it has far more acreage than its tax base and a stable 715K population can begin to support, some areas will have to be "decorporated". Now could there be enough commercial and residential development to fill in the void between the South end of Downtown and MCS, that should be addressed by urban planners. But to me, it is the only hope to have MCS redeveloped.

Now so far as a train station, forget it. Detroit is simply an intermediate stop on the Grand Funk between Dearborn and Pontiac, so if the State sponsored Wolverines were to use MCS, there would be a run-in-back-out move involved.

I'm rooting for Detroit; the DSO is a world class ensemble, and I walked, albeit daylight, along Woodward Ave. from Marriott to Orchestra Hall without any fears whatever. While premature at this time, I can envision.one making that same walk after dark and without incident.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby David Benton » Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:46 pm

Detroit would be at the top of my list of cities to visit in the USA. And a rebuilt MCS would add to the attraction. Though maybe a "ghost tour" of the old station would be just as much an attraction.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby gokeefe » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:16 pm

Worth noting that efforts to restore Buffalo Central Terminal, which have been well underway for ten years already, have taken off in light of the roof collapse at one of the "Amshack" stations in Buffalo.

Given the long history of shared service between these two stations I can easily see officials in the Motor City saying, "we could do this too".

Worth noting the similar context of "Amshack" stations in Detroit as well. These truly awful facilities have been remarkable in their success as an impetus for restoration of historic stations throughout the country.

I can think of two right off ... Richmond Main Street (Richmond Staples Mill - Amshack), St. Paul Union Depot (Midway - Amshack).
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:34 pm

Actually Mr. O'Keefe, Buffalo Exchange St - the one whose roof collapsed - was an NYC "shack". It was built to make way for I-190.

But there is a difference between BCT and MCS in that BCT is located on an Amtrak passenger route and could again be a "run through". Although MCS is also a run through into the Detroit River tunnel. It is not on the existing Amtrak route. To access it, as I noted earlier, would require a backup move, adding time to a service that its sponsors would like to have become drive time competitive.
Gilbert B Norman

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak