Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: ACS-64 Sprinter Testing, Developments, & Sightings

Postby Matt Johnson » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:23 pm

For that matter, are we going to renumber mileposts where accidents have occurred? Clearly it can be carried to the point of absurdity.
Matt Johnson

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:16 pm

Mr. Johnson, all here know I'm a regular Auto Train rider with twenty three "voyages" to date. The last time I was on another Amtrak train was 2012.

Especially now that I am "less Luddite" than in the past (I even have and use an app titled Marco Polo), whenever Mr. Google says AT is near Crescent City, I DO take note.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby andrewjw » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:34 pm

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Johnson, all here know I'm a regular Auto Train rider with twenty three "voyages" to date. The last time I was on another Amtrak train was 2012.

Especially now that I am "less Luddite" than in the past (I even have and use an app titled Marco Polo), whenever Mr. Google says AT is near Crescent City, I DO take note.

I think it is pretty clear to all that your anecdote does not provide meaningful insight into what would be observed by an average train rider, given your past experiences and affinity.
andrewjw

Postby Matt Johnson » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:46 pm

I still think about Chase, MD 1987 every time I cross over the Gunpowder River on Amtrak. But the reality is that there are a million tragedies large and small written into the history of ordinary places we pass every day.
Matt Johnson

Re: Amtrak ACS-64 Sprinter Discussion

Postby gokeefe » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:05 am

The recent cold snap has been one of the coldest periods on record in the Northeast since the Sprinters arrived at Amtrak.

How are they handling the cold weather? How does it compare to the AEM-7s, HHP-8s or E60s?
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:31 am

Mr. O'Keefe, here is a major delay that "might or might not" be attributed to an ACS-64 (Horizion's normally assigned to this train just "love" the cold):

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=160547&start=645#p1456832
Gilbert B Norman

Postby ApproachMedium » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:19 am

That delay on the Vermonter had to do with a building fire in newark taking out the catenary. Many other trains were stranded under dead wire on 1 and 2 track, not just train 54. The cold has had zero effect on the ACS performance. The only problem with these in the snow is the way that ice/snow builds up on the undercarriage eventually will cause tripping of the dragging detectors. Something that can and will happen with almost any type of railroad equipment and is not necessarily an issue with their design.

A somebody who has to be in the cab these things stay nice and toasty in the cold weather vs the AEM-7s where you froze while moving and cooked while standing because of the massive amount of drafts.
No good deed goes unpunished.
ApproachMedium

Postby 8th Notch » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:50 pm

The units have been very reliable in both extreme hot and cold to date, they are still new so the jury is out on long term but for now I think there have been few catastrophic failures. I’ve only rescued 1 with a compressor failure and the other I had the coupling gear box fail which doesn’t criple the unit fully.
8th Notch

Previous

Return to Amtrak