Viewliner II Delivery/Production

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Viewliner II Delivery/Production

Postby bratkinson » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:31 pm

Backshophoss wrote:Is the "Mail platform" at NY Penn totally unusable?

From my own observations, including today, the mail platform areas are used to store NJT trains mid-day and even a few Amfleet coaches sitting there at 5:00 this evening!

Almost forgot: part of that area is used for equipment staging for track repairs as well as construction related to closing the 'sunlight gap'.
bratkinson

Postby east point » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:32 pm

Greg Moore wrote:I don't see 448/449 become a "switch trains please" any time soon. There's certainly a LOT more customer satisfaction from not having to switch trains, especially for the sleeper passengers who don't want to be in coach for 5 hours before switching trains.

Reality check. Present LSL schedules would require 2 train sets for 448 / 449. You would still need that count on a longer NYPS 48 / 49 which gets into problems of length at that station.
east point

Postby east point » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:52 pm

The speculation of changing consists has ignored the latest about bi-level cars.
With Siemens now building over 130+ Brightline single level cars many metrics will change. Possibilities are endless but unless CAF gets their V-2s coming out faster the following may happen.
The Brightlines will free up enough cars to allow Capitol and CNO to become single level with the extra V-2 diners placed on those trains. Freed up single level coaches and lounges will trim out those trains. Then Superliners freed up can go to western trains. Any new Superliner type cars seem way off in the future so those freed up will meet the obvious attrition of present superliners,
Then again Amtrak will order either Bright line coaches to replace the AM-2s or maybe CAF (?) V-2 coaches

BTW wonder what the bright line type cars will be called ? Would expect AAF to worry about product credibility to be reduced if Amtrak used their brand ?
east point

Postby gokeefe » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:04 am

There is a shortage of single level cars. There is not a shortage of Superliners. The Viewliner Diners and Sleepers appear most likely to support the single level services.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Backshophoss » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:52 am

Believe there're a few Superliners at Beech Grove still on Legal Dept "holds",the Superliners are a bit stretched thin during the summer months.
Not sure when the "Winter Park Express" service starts up for the season,that will tie up a bunch of coaches and coach-Bags for a while.
It will depend on how fast Seimens can gear up the production at the plant in CA on the single level car orders for the state supported
services in the midwest and Ca. :wink:
Backshophoss

Postby ApproachMedium » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:47 am

Siemens expanded their facility when the ACS-64 order was put in, banking on all of this new american business. They are cranking out the new passenger cars no problem as well as these new locomotives. I think florida already has all of their sets on hand, which means any next in line carbody production outside of loco body shells will be for these 130 cali cars.

Siemens basically won this because they designed the cars for Brightline to fully drop in to the PRIAA/Amtrak specs. This automatically puts Siemens ahead of ANY other bidders at the moment on whatever the next generation of Amfleets will be, since Siemens has an in production product that has been approved and tested. No other US manufacture has that.
No good deed goes unpunished.
ApproachMedium

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:23 am

To get this discussion back to topic:

Anyone, will there be a "Christmas present" awaiting and labeled "To Amtrak, from CAF"?
Gilbert B Norman

Postby ApproachMedium » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:14 pm

We could only hope they at least get a Black Friday Sale!

I also have not seen in the last few weeks, and others can input if youd like, any Heritage diners on any of the long distance trains now. Speaking with some people who live and ride along the Lake Shore route last week when i was in Cleveland they cannot wait until the new diners reach their train as everybody hates the diner lite car.
No good deed goes unpunished.
ApproachMedium

Postby Greg Moore » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:13 pm

It's funny after having not ridden the LSL for probably a decade plus, I rode it 3 times this year. And the first 2 times, the Dinner-lite was hands down the worst dining experience I've had on Amtrak. The 3rd time wasn't so bad. But yes, DEFINITELY can't wait for the new diners to come online!
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby Morning Zephyr » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:19 pm

I've ridden the LSL overnight twice in the past five months, both times with the Amsnack serving as the "diner," and to my surprise the two dinners and two breakfasts I had were not bad. They were not noticeably worse than meals I have had in this same time period on the Crescent, Builder and Chief. (Overall, Amtrak meals seem better than a year ago.)
Morning Zephyr

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:35 pm

JimBoylan wrote:About 2 years ago, Amtrak reduced the number of paid excess bags a passenger could check from 3 to 2. There had been earlier weight per bag reductions to decrease potential excess baggage revenue.

Mr. Boylan; off topic, but I contunue to be astounded with what people take with them on journeys. How is it I am able to go overseas for a week with a dress up requirement for concerts at the Salzburg Festival, and fit it all into a bag weighing 21lbs that fits in an aircraft's overhead bin (albeit Business Class).

How can I take a three night journey wearing what I have on my back and everything else in an over the shoulder flight bag that fits under an Economy Class seat?

But for reference the overhead bin bag I noted once, during the '70's, fit under an Econoclass seat (back when I had a five flights four hotels job per week with the MILW); not sure about that nowadays.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby Tadman » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:18 pm

I think a lot of people don't get the art of packing. I spent a month in Argentina with the contents of a leather duffel that fit into the bin above my seat. There is no sense in bringing the entire contents of a closet. Once one arrives, one must cart that luggage around the city until lodging is located. In a city like Buenos Aires or New York, that is not fun.
Tadman

Postby John_Perkowski » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:09 pm

Admin Note

Let us get back on topic please.
~John Perkowski: Moderator: General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment
Assistant Administrator: Railroad.net/forums
Please don't feed the spammers! If you see spam, please notify a Moderator
John_Perkowski

Postby gokeefe » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:24 pm

ApproachMedium wrote:Speaking with some people who live and ride along the Lake Shore route last week when i was in Cleveland they cannot wait until the new diners reach their train as everybody hates the diner lite car.

I think its great that Amtrak is going to have far better consistency and quality of foodservice on their single level long distance trains. These cars represent an opportunity they have never been given on these routes to present a uniform appearance with improved service.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Previous

Return to Amtrak