Acela Replacement and Disposition Discussion

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Acela Replacement and Disposition Discussion

Postby NeedhamLine » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:37 am

Glad to see some concrete progress on the Acela 2 front, albeit from a subcontractor: https://www.alstom.com/press-releases-n ... -power-car

I was beginning to wonder where the photos of shell construction were, given that we're about a year out from the date when the first complete prototype trainset is scheduled to be delivered.

It will be interesting to see whether the shells for the passenger cars will be constructed in the US or abroad - I have read that their aluminum construction method is much more specialized than the steel construction of the power car shells. As I recall, the Buy America waiver that Amtrak got as part of its HSR procurement exempted all aluminum bodyshells and up to two entire prototype trainsets.

Also of note is that although the nose and cab are not yet attached, the shell has been painted (except for decals), including the gray swoosh that will continue onto the nose.
NeedhamLine

Postby gokeefe » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:58 pm

Alstom has this project timed down to the day. Previous IG Reports indicated they were taking a 90 day schedule slip of the initial delivery very seriously. Hard to.imagine the same response from other vendors.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby David Benton » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:15 pm

900 days would be more like it for some of the other vendors...
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby east point » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:23 pm

For those of you that have said that AX-1s would be retired the five year service plan differs. As of the plan date Amtrak expects all AX-2s to be in service by 2022. Amtrak expects AX-1s to be retired by end of 2025. If the AX-2s are delayed then Amtrak can certainly delay the AX=1s further out ! WhatAmtrak expects to do during the overlap is not stated as far as we could find.

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/proj ... 8-FY23.pdf
east point

Postby gokeefe » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:15 pm

That is a significant change. Nice catch.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Tadman » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:55 pm

I recently spoke to a contractor on the Acela 1 program that i know well. He indicated it’s likely the Acela 1 gets retired and disposed of, but there is still a bit of discussion of moving it to some other assignment to be determined such as Regionals, Keystone... I don’t believe he is a sub for Acela 2, so perhaps he is doing some wishful thinking.
Tadman

Postby gokeefe » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:08 pm

He would probably know better than most. It's not as if the Alstom people are going to know anything. Thanks for the post. More mud in the water but certainly catches my attention and would also be more in line with the current "airline" management style.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Arlington » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:39 pm

I'm sure it is in Amtrak's interest to keep it *looking* like the AX-1 would/could be continued in service, the better to negotiate price & delivery for additional AX-2 rolling stock if the initial units look promising. Everyplace you'd dream of repurposing an AX1, I dream of deploying additional AX2s (which would probably be superior on capital costs, operating costs, performance, and customer satisfaction)
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby east point » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:53 pm

Arlington wrote: Everyplace you'd dream of repurposing an AX1, I dream of deploying additional AX2s (which would probably be superior on capital costs, operating costs, performance, and customer satisfaction)

That thought is inportant but there might be a break in manufacturing between the last AX-2s now ordered and additional cars or sets being ordered and delivered ?
east point

Postby mtuandrew » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:44 pm

The AX-1s really could be a great bargain for an operator that wants one single, captive fleet, has high platforms & fast track, and who’s willing to work hand-in-hand with BBD/Alstom. They would be a nightmare for anyone else.

And yes, Amtrak itself ought to just buy another round of AX-2s (or MUs or corridor coaches) rather than try to rehab the AX-1s again, but they could always operate them for PennDOT, CDOT, RIPTA, or DelDOT.
mtuandrew

Postby Bramdeisroberts » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:50 pm

Las Vegas?
Bramdeisroberts

Postby mtuandrew » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:09 pm

Bramdeisroberts wrote:Las Vegas?

Extremely doubtful. No track for years, no guarantee of wire, and Brightline has an existing and strong relationship with Siemens. Same goes for CAHSR, except Alstom is also a strong competitor.

If they run after the AX-2s hit the property, it’ll be on the NEC (or an extension thereof), and regardless of the operator it wouldn’t be on Amtrak’s dime. Or else, they’ll be a big tourist train fleet :P
mtuandrew

Postby gokeefe » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:15 pm

Bramdeisroberts wrote:Las Vegas?

Definitely not. Brightline has made it clear they want to operate a common fleet company wide.

Also would complicate other options.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby gokeefe » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:23 pm

Arlington wrote:Everyplace you'd dream of repurposing an AX1, I dream of deploying additional AX2s (which would probably be superior on capital costs, operating costs, performance, and customer satisfaction)

Well made point that I think rightfully calls into question the future of NEC captive Northeast Regional service.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Backshophoss » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:07 pm

The Acela I's should become a surge fleet for the NEC,used during peak travel periods,worse case build/adapt some extra Acela II power cars to replace the
Acela I power cars.
Backshophoss

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak