Cardinal discussion

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Cardinal discussion

Postby andrewjw » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:24 am

east point wrote:Palmetto connections at WASH may have merit. Once again quit trying to make the Cardinal an end to end train. Passengers from Indianapolis to Charlottesville need the connections at WASH and CHI.

This gives me an idea. I wonder if this change could be in preparation for an additional NEC Regional to Roanoke.
andrewjw

Postby ThirdRail7 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:05 pm

The Palmetto is packed with its dual purpose. It doesn't need a triple purpose which is why the connecting train is 111. There is a valid case for utilizing Superliner equipment. The accident in Cayce has eliminated a single level set of equipment. Even the equipment that was salvageable will not be available for quite some time.

While David Benton posted the top 10 city pairs, when you get to the top 20 revenue generating pairs, you now see the impact of letting this train traverse the corridor. This also the many, many riders in the other markets (such as Staunton) that are contributing to the bottom line without going to a major city pair.

However, if I had to pick a train to break up into regional service, this would be it. Unfortunately, the states may not fund it and it would be lost. Contrary to popular (and misguided) opinions, losing the Cardinal would not make the Broadway Limited magically reappear. We'll see what Amtrak2.0 holds.
I want my road foreman!
ThirdRail7

Postby ExCon90 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:51 pm

R&DB wrote:Terminate the Cardinal at Washington, the NEC doesn't need the Cardinal, it has Acela and the Northeast Regionals as well as NJT and SEPTA. Cardinal's purpose is to serve West Virginia, the Ohio River Valley and Indianapolis. Washington to Chicago has the more direct Capitol Limited which should run semi-express. New York has the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago via Albany, Buffalo and Cleveland that should be made semi-express by only stopping at major stations. Upstate New York has the Empire Service for the local stuff but perhaps they could add a Buffalo to Chicago Regional Service for the local stops there. Eliminate the Keystone New York to Pittsburgh and add the Broadway Limited New York to Chicago stopping only at major stations like Philly, Harrisburg, Pittsburgh, Wheeling, etc. Make the Keystone Service Philly to Wheeling. If you need to travel NYC to a local stop in PA, change trains in Philadelphia.
Shortens time for all routes and you may get more patronage.

I don't see where Wheeling comes into it. Wheeling has never been on a through route from Pittsburgh to Chicago, and according to the 2007 SPV Atlas there is no longer any practical route from Pittsburgh to Wheeling in existence.
ExCon90

Postby mtuandrew » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:29 pm

ThirdRail7: if WV’s senators have any pull (and in this neverending Infrastructure Week they may have more pull than under a Democratic Congress) they might be able to get Appalachian Development dollars to pay for their state share of a NYC - Charleston Train. At least, I’d angle for them.
mtuandrew

Postby R&DB » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:14 am

I was researching a Cardinal trip for late April or early May and found out the #50 will terminate at WAS due to track work beginning 3/30/21018. What is this work that requires 6 trains per week be eliminated but not the hundreds of others on the NEC?
Harry
R&DB

Postby east point » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:37 am

NYP track work. Amazing isn't it that work 249 miles away affects service ? Cardinal's late arrival especially if delayed would interfere with that NYP track work.
east point

Postby chuchubob » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:08 am

Five NEC trains per day are skipping NYP.
chuchubob

Postby dowlingm » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:03 am

R&DB wrote:I was researching a Cardinal trip for late April or early May and found out the #50 will terminate at WAS due to track work beginning 3/30/21018. What is this work that requires 6 trains per week be eliminated but not the hundreds of others on the NEC?
Well, for one thing it's probably less work to terminate a train which otherwise requires an engine change vs something that does. Presumably not so much capacity is needed during that time that it is necessary to run the train north and terminate it at PHL or elsewhere.
dowlingm

Postby east point » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:19 pm

chuchubob wrote:Five NEC trains per day are skipping NYP.

Well that is a 5 to 1 ratio seems about right ? Are the 5 NER trains all originating / terminating NYP ?i
east point

Postby David Benton » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:49 pm

The Cardinals eastbound service would start eating into nite worktime, if running late , which it is prone to do .
Also , I think someone mentioned a single level car shortage after the Star crash , this setup allows the Cardinal to use superliner cars if necessary.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby Backshophoss » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:18 am

By now the undamaged cars on that ill fated star consist should be able to be used,unless there were injuries in every car of that consist,
then the legal beagles have the cars on legal hold untill everything settles,in or out of court.
Backshophoss

Postby chuchubob » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:56 am

east point wrote:
chuchubob wrote:Five NEC trains per day are skipping NYP.

Well that is a 5 to 1 ratio seems about right ? Are the 5 NER trains all originating / terminating NYP ?i

On second look, it's four trains. Train 110 WAS to NYP and train 127 NYP to WAS are annulled. Keystone train 640 will terminate at NWK (Newark Penn) instead of NYP and Keystone train 643 will originate at NWK instead of NYP.
chuchubob

Postby dowlingm » Fri May 18, 2018 8:40 am

Looks like a private car attached to a Cardinal had a mishap:
http://bowjamesbow.ca/2018/05/17/kenosha-scrubbe.shtml
Today, I woke up in my seat in Indianapolis at 6 p.m., which is exactly where Amtrak’s Cardinal should be. But we aren’t moving. Turns out that a private railcar that the train was pulling at the rear popped over the rail as the train entered Indianapolis Union Station. This damaged the coupler to the point where the crew couldn’t disengage it from the rest of the train. We were looking at staying in Indianapolis for hours until possibly buses would come, but instead the crew decided to take the luggage out of the baggage car (which was between the private car and the rest of the train) place them wherever space was available on the train, and abandon the baggage car in Indianapolis. Doing this allowed us to leave Indianapolis Union Station two hours late, at 8 a.m.
dowlingm

Postby jhdeasy » Fri May 18, 2018 11:43 am

Private car REDWOOD EMPIRE (POCX 800233), formerly known as TAMALPAIS, originally ATSF 33, did derail at low speed at Indianapolis.

Hopefully, Amtrak will bring the car over to their Beech Grove shop and make the necessary repairs, which will allow the car to safely return home.
jhdeasy

Postby ryanov » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:50 pm

Has anyone who was booked on these affected trains received any kind of notice or update (I’m on 50 on 7/31, supposed to be CHI-NWK)? I just see “service cancelled” when I pull up my reservation, and they didn’t notify me at all about anything.
|=| R. Novosielski |=|
ryanov

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak