Cincinnati Union Terminal

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Cincinnati Union Terminal

Postby gokeefe » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:20 pm

It really is quite the epic facility. Hopefully someday it will have more train service. For now it is being incredibly well-preserved for a brighter future.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby gokeefe » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:49 pm

Work continues on schedule for the $212 million renovation at Cincinnati Union Terminal ...

The work itself isn't exactly hard to spot.

Construction equipment buzzes on the plaza. Cranes hover above.

The results of all that effort at Union Terminal, however, won't all be as obvious.

That's because the restoration project focuses on replacing and repairing deteriorating parts of the Art Deco icon. Things like the heating and air conditioning. The roof, too.

But that doesn't mean there aren't already noticeable improvements at the home of the Cincinnati Museum Center.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby palmland » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:36 am

Thanks for posting. CUT is my favorite railroad terminal. In fact I just finished an HO scale model of it for our model railroad. We couldn't have done it without the help of the staff at the Museum Center that gave us access to the blueprints.

Hopefully Hunter Harrison will move his intermodal terminal elsewhere. A trench was dug under part of the terminal concourse to serve as a tail track for the facility. This effectively blocks any additional tracks for Amtrak to terminate/originate a train or cars there. Also under wishful thinking is an extension of the new Cincinnati streetcar line to the terminal. The terminal was originally designed for the streetcar to operate through the terminal (note there are 3 entrances on each side: buses, taxis, streetcars). Without easy transit downtown, it'll be hard to justify future state rail expansion there.

Fortunately we have Graham Clayton to thank for getting at least one train back into the terminal. Better than nothing but a far cry from the days when 7 railroads had many trains operating there. I was fortunate to have ridden trains there on all of them except NYC.
palmland

Postby Arlington » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:06 am

The WPA murals from CUT were moved from CVG Airport to the outside/side of the downtown arena near the end of 2016:
http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/cityofcinc ... -new-home/
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby gokeefe » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:00 pm

palmland wrote:Hopefully Hunter Harrison will move his intermodal terminal elsewhere. A trench was dug under part of the terminal concourse to serve as a tail track for the facility. This effectively blocks any additional tracks for Amtrak to terminate/originate a train or cars there. Also under wishful thinking is an extension of the new Cincinnati streetcar line to the terminal. The terminal was originally designed for the streetcar to operate through the terminal (note there are 3 entrances on each side: buses, taxis, streetcars). Without easy transit downtown, it'll be hard to justify future state rail expansion there.

I took a look at this on Google Maps ...

It would appear that the existing right of way which goes under the headhouse might have space for a second track. Additionally depending on what level passengers are coming from it seems to be that the trench probably would not get in the way of an elevated walkway over to a concourse (not that I think this will ever be necessary ...).
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby palmland » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:14 pm

gokeefe wrote:
palmland wrote:Hopefully Hunter Harrison will move his intermodal terminal elsewhere. A trench was dug under part of the terminal concourse to serve as a tail track for the facility. This effectively blocks any additional tracks for Amtrak to terminate/originate a train or cars there. Also under wishful thinking is an extension of the new Cincinnati streetcar line to the terminal. The terminal was originally designed for the streetcar to operate through the terminal (note there are 3 entrances on each side: buses, taxis, streetcars). Without easy transit downtown, it'll be hard to justify future state rail expansion there.

I took a look at this on Google Maps ...

It would appear that the existing right of way which goes under the headhouse might have space for a second track. Additionally depending on what level passengers are coming from it seems to be that the trench probably would not get in the way of an elevated walkway over to a concourse (not that I think this will ever be necessary ...).

You may be right but I'd still like to get CSX out of there.

Thanks for the link to the permanent home for the murals, Mr Arlington. That's a great solution, second only to rebuilding the concourse and reinstalling them there! In my model I scanned those murals from color photos in one of my CUT books. I then reduced to HO scale and printed them. If you look into the window (added in the model at the end of the concourse) you can see the many travelers, seating, and the murals on the wall.
palmland

Previous

Return to Amtrak