Amtrak Vermonter (Montreal Greenfield Boston CT River Line)

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Amtrak Vermonter (Montreal Greenfield Boston CT River Li

Postby charlesriverbranch » Wed May 09, 2018 3:29 pm

I don't find it hard to believe. Anderson isn't running for election; he was appointed by a corporate board responsible to no one but themselves, as far as I know. And his mission may not be to improve service but to cut costs. Fewer trains = lower costs.

Can Vermont find another operator for the trains? I'm sure New England Central wants no part of it, but could they find someone else? Or set up their own agency and run the trains themselves?
charlesriverbranch

Postby lordsigma12345 » Wed May 09, 2018 4:08 pm

You know I wondered why there hadn't been any discussions of the Pan Am stretch of track in Mass. I'm sure MassDOT and Pan Am will point fingers at each other as to who was supposed to go through the process. It should be exempt as Pan Am is Class II and they are still the operator of the line under MassDOT ownership but they should have still gone through the proper process. I wonder however if added Knowledge Corridor trips could trigger a PTC requirement along this stretch
lordsigma12345

Postby lordsigma12345 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:08 pm

Effective June 9th the Vermonter no longer serves Berlin, Connecticut and Wallingford, Connecticut. June 8th will be the final day that the Vermonter stops at those two stations.
lordsigma12345

Postby daybeers » Tue May 15, 2018 6:04 pm

I believe you, but source? Amtrak hasn't uploaded the schedules yet.
daybeers

Postby lordsigma12345 » Tue May 15, 2018 9:00 pm

Hartford Line schedule had it on there before and indicated that they would not be stopping there BUT I just remembered they have since taken Vermonter off the schedule on their page (since its not taking Hartford Line tickets.)

At this point you can go here: https://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/Amtrak
Click schedules and you can view the schedule for Wallingford to New Haven as an example pre-June 9th and post-June 9th.

Hopefully they will release the new PDF schedules shortly.
lordsigma12345

Vermonter

Postby Larry » Fri May 18, 2018 2:42 pm

Two days in a row I have been watching the new SONO WEB CAM placed at National Historical tower on the NEC near South Norwalk CT and I watched the Vermonter go North (late both times) with 6 cars in tow. But when it goes by me at Windsor CT (even later) there are only five cars in tow. Do they drop a car off in New Haven? Do they pick it up on its return ( I will have to watch the SONO Web Cam to see if they add the car back on.
FYI, also, already running at 50 minutes late north, Scanner said that there was Police activity near Windsor Locks and 56 was to be held for further info 3:05pm today.
Larry

Re: Vermonter

Postby asull85 » Fri May 18, 2018 10:09 pm

The first coach comes off at NHV and is added onto 55/57. They were held for police activity in Longmeadow. Mass State Police, Connecticut State Police, Springfield Police, Longmeadow Police, Enfield Police and Amtrak Police were searching for armed home invasion suspects from Springfield that crashed their car on I-91 on the state line.
asull85

Postby Larry » Sat May 19, 2018 12:16 pm

Thanks on answering my questions. Now if they can just get the cars washed, they look terrible coming through Windsor CT.
Larry

Postby asull85 » Thu May 24, 2018 2:00 pm

Larry wrote:Thanks on answering my questions. Now if they can just get the cars washed, they look terrible coming through Windsor CT.

Lets not get too crazy
asull85

Postby lordsigma12345 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:27 pm

This upcoming week is the last week Vermonter will stop in Wallingford and Berlin with next Friday the 8th being the final day. Amtrak shifts to the new post NHHS schedule for Springfield line starting that Saturday (the 9th.) Surprised that Amtrak has still not released any advisories regarding the changes. We should see the official timetable soon - they just posted the new Virginia version and New York - Philadelphia - Baltimore - Washington version of the NEC timetable both effective June 9th. Boston / Springfield - New Haven - New York - Philadelphia - Washington version should be on there soon.
lordsigma12345

Previous

Return to Amtrak