Amtrak Crescent Discussion

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Tadman, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America

Re: Amtrak Crescent Discussion

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:39 am

Lest we forget, Amtrak has been confronted with A-II write-offs from both Kaycee and Chester (latter might be returned to service once the Legal Beagles release such) and committing four cars to this apparently wasteful service on 19-20, Crescent, is too great a burden on equipment starved Amtrak.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby Philly Amtrak Fan » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:31 pm

electricron wrote:More likely would be an extension of the Crescent to Houston after the Sunset Limited is retired.

Might as well go all the way to San Antonio then as they have storage/maintenance facilities there and you would have connections with the Texas Eagle although I'm sure the timing would require overnight stays in the Alamo City.

Cancel the two non daily trains, extend the Crescent to San Antonio, extend the City of New Orleans to Orlando, and close the maintenance facilities in New Orleans (wouldn't need them as the Crescent and CONO wouldn't terminate there anymore). The two extra Viewliners used on the Cardinal are used on the Crescent extension and the extra Superliners saved on canceling the SL are used on the CONO extension so I don't believe any more train sets would be required. All trains would have daily service, Houston would still have service, and the Gulf Coast route would be restored. The biggest market to lose service would be Cincinnati. Tuscon and El Paso would also be losses. Not one state in the country would lose all of its train service although certainly some would lose a significant portion.
Philly Amtrak Fan

Postby Tadman » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:22 pm

Philly Amtrak Fan wrote:
Cancel the two non daily trains, extend the Crescent to San Antonio, extend the City of New Orleans to Orlando.

Hard pass on the CNO to Orlando. Very hard. I spent the week in Pascagoula and the former L&N is one busy single track railroad. Right now the CNO is a perfect time-length overnight trip. Extending it a second night on a second host railroad is a recipe for tremendous delay.

And as for a reroute of the Crescent to Texas, most Texans don't even know Amtrak goes through the state. I'd leave it all where it is.
Tadman

Postby Jeff Smith » Thu May 17, 2018 11:41 am

Nice trip report: https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... w-orleans/

I have a sentimental attachment to the Crescent, even though I only rode it one. I think this is one LD that can, and should, survive. It may end up being cut back to a day train ATL-NYP, but I think between VA and NC, they'll want to keep it. Pretty sure even GA would pony up.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby Jeff Smith » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:21 am

Annulment below Atlanta: http://trn.trains.com/news/news-wire/20 ... ing-jan-20

It is not the only significant cancellation faced by Amtrak long distance trains in January. Beginning Monday, Jan. 7, Crescent service between New Orleans and Atlanta will be cancelled Mondays through Thursdays, a disruption lasting through Feb. 14.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby east point » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:19 pm

Believe this disruption is one week longer than past years ?
east point

Postby gokeefe » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:17 pm

At least it's during the low point of the year.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Previous

Return to Amtrak