Amtrak Crescent Discussion

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Amtrak Crescent Discussion

Postby palmland » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:52 pm

I remember seeing Southern’s Raleigh to Greensboro train when visiting a friend at NC State. It had a baggage car, couple coaches and a through sleeper to NY. Don’t know what the connecting train was at Greensboro, probably something like the Peach Queen.

As far as connecting Raleigh to Richmond, don’t forget the Silver Star does it now.
palmland

Postby east point » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:25 pm

The train was actually one that originated at Goldsboro, NC. It connected the sleeper to a north bound SOU RR train at Greensborough. The train from Goldsboro continued to Winston Salem and Asheville.
Was more concerned about service south of CLT to connect east of Greensborough.
east point

Postby Arlington » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:09 pm

Baby steps: consider a WAS-ATL train that operated exactly 12 hours opposite the Crescent, and mostly on days when the Cardinal is not running, so as to tap Charlottesville's strong demand on days that Charlottesville is underserved.

City MoTh TuFr
NYP 02:15a 01:46a
WAS 06:30a 09:53p
CVS 08:52a 07:09p
LYH 10:00a 05:56p
CLT 02:20p 01:46p
CSN 05:39p 10:16a
ATL 08:13p 8:04a

This addresses a number of obstacles:
* Long Bridge Slots: stays under the daily cap, except for 1 trip Friday
* Equipment: requires only 1 trainset per day (though creates a crunch on Friday)
* Demand: supplements & complements existing LDs targeting the opposite time of day (vs Crescent) and unserved days of week (vs Cardinal)[/list]

On Fridays, the only day that both the Cardinal and this new train would run at the same time, the northbound would serve Charlottesville 2h30 after the Crescent...decent spacing to minimize cannibalism and maximize "weekend getaway" convenience.
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby east point » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:16 pm

Arlington: why not let the planned second Lynchburg train serve the CVS route and get new service via Richmond ?
east point

Postby Arlington » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:16 pm

Great thing about Charlottesville and Lynchburg is that they seem poised to support almost any new service that can be configured, whether it is a Northeast Regional or some sort of Crescent or Cardinal derivative.

The problem with any new service south of Washington is getting slots on CSX across the Long Bridge and negotiating with NS or CSX for access.

Richmond is undoubtedly a huge Market but it is also well served by rail, air and highway, in a way that the Blue Ridge isnt. And I think Charlotte deserves and would support a fast direct day train.

So far, I don't see where the additional slots to operate an additional Lynchburger are going to come from, so I like the idea of running a train in what I believe or the unused slots from the days the Cardinal does not operate.
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington

Postby SouthernRailway » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:31 pm

I think that a Birmingham-Atlanta-Greenville-Charlotte-Raleigh train makes sense--a super-extended Piedmont.
SouthernRailway

Postby east point » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:30 pm

Originating and Terminating at BHM would be great except that for the for seeable future ATL <> BHM timekeeping is Terrible. The median delays for last two months run 90 - 120 minutes. You cannot run service to the NEC with that kind of continuing delays. CSX delays Crescent just west of Amtrak station and NS is congested all way to BHM.
east point

Postby TomNelligan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:48 am

Here's a detailed and mostly positive trip account from the New York Times. The writer had a good experience up until Norfolk Southern freight delays after Atlanta led to a middle-of-the-night arrival in New Orleans.

How I Rolled on the Crescent: New York to New Orleans by Rail

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/trav ... train.html
TomNelligan

Previous

Return to Amtrak