Amtrak Empire Service (NYS) Improvements Albany - Buffalo

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Amtrak Empire Service (NYS) Improvements Albany - Buffal

Postby Ridgefielder » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:59 pm

scoostraw wrote:
east point wrote:If this service could start absolutely go by way of ALB but keep option by NY State for reopening the Chatham - Hudson line .

That's interesting. I never thought of going by that route. The tracks were in as far as Claverack until not too long ago.

The first ~3mi of the branch are intact and in-service to a big ADM facility between Hudson and Claverack. From Claverack to Chatham, though, the line has been gone for so long that it's tough to pick it out on an aerial view. Think it was abandoned in the mid-1950's. Not sure but I suspect the ROW has reverted to the adjoining property owners at this point. Think this line is in the same category as the B&M passenger main via Troy-- if it still existed it would be useful, but it's been dead so long that it will never return.
Ridgefielder

Postby ExCon90 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:29 pm

Nicely done piece in the Times-Union; I wonder who gave them the wrong spelling for R. D. Timpany's name.
ExCon90

Postby ApproachMedium » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:44 am

If they were to do something like this it would have to either meet trains already going to NYP or extend trains that already run from NYP. The lack of spare dual modes as well as amfleets will hold that back. I am not sure what the turn around times are in Albany, but the entirety of the P32 servicing, fueling and most inspections beyond a basic daily inspection are all done there.
No good deed goes unpunished.
ApproachMedium

Postby BM6569 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:37 pm

Any idea what the upcoming track work on the Empire Connecion will be? Weren't they once considering restoring the 2nd track across the bridge and the unused 5th track up to Hastings-on-Hudson? I know ALB bound trains take a hit quite often at the switch there due to GCT bound MN trains as they have to wait for them to clear. Would help alleviate some congestion there.
BM6569

Postby jonnhrr » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:21 pm

BM6569 wrote:Any idea what the upcoming track work on the Empire Connecion will be? Weren't they once considering restoring the 2nd track across the bridge and the unused 5th track up to Hastings-on-Hudson? I know ALB bound trains take a hit quite often at the switch there due to GCT bound MN trains as they have to wait for them to clear. Would help alleviate some congestion there.

Adding more tracks wouldn't help as Westbound Empire Service still has to cross the Eastbound tracks to GCT at grade. The only thing that would resolve that is a flying junction.

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby Greg Moore » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:50 pm

ApproachMedium wrote:If they were to do something like this it would have to either meet trains already going to NYP or extend trains that already run from NYP. The lack of spare dual modes as well as amfleets will hold that back. I am not sure what the turn around times are in Albany, but the entirety of the P32 servicing, fueling and most inspections beyond a basic daily inspection are all done there.

Since I think their goal is the "weekender" traffic, you can take just one or two of the late afternoon/evening trains, reverse them and take them to Pittsfield and I suppose deadhead them back if you need to have extra time in Albany.

But yeah, timing might be critical.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby Railjunkie » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:20 am

BM6569 wrote:Any idea what the upcoming track work on the Empire Connecion will be? Weren't they once considering restoring the 2nd track across the bridge and the unused 5th track up to Hastings-on-Hudson? I know ALB bound trains take a hit quite often at the switch there due to GCT bound MN trains as they have to wait for them to clear. Would help alleviate some congestion there.

Track work is mostly for the Empire tunnel and the rail gang should be out on the connection, hopefully they will get most of it up to 60mph. Havent heard anything about a second track across the bridge at Innwood. MNRR owns CP 12 and I dont think they are going to tear it up to add access to another track.

Why on earth would MNRR want a 5th main track from CP12 to Hastings, there trains run just fine on the four tracks they have now. Dont forget in the not too distant past they were going to take out track one completely.
Railjunkie

Postby EuroStar » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:43 am

MNRR might want a 5th track of some length if Hudson Line access to Penn ever becomes a reality (while I support preserving the right of way of the existing industrial track for the longest possible stretch, I do not see any circumstance in which there will be need to extend that 5th track up to Hastings). That is also the only circumstance under which a flying junction might become justifiable in terms of cost. Until then what is there suffices.
EuroStar

Postby east point » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:06 pm

EuroStar wrote:MNRR might want a 5th track of some length if Hudson Line access to Penn ever becomes a reality (while I support preserving the right of way of the existing industrial track for the longest possible stretch, I do not see any circumstance in which there will be need to extend that 5th track up to Hastings). That is also the only circumstance under which a flying junction might become justifiable in terms of cost. Until then what is there suffices.

The 5th track and 2 tracks over the SD bridge probably is needed but a far more effective solution is eliminate the bridge or at least make it secondary and build a fly over to connect to the two inside MNRR tracks.
east point

Postby Rockingham Racer » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:40 pm

Is there room there for all that?
Rockingham Racer

Postby Backshophoss » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:29 pm

NO!
There's ZERO room for flyover trackage,best way is to get thru put up at CP 12/DV is longer turnouts to allow faster crossover moves.
DV bridge was 2 tracked in the past,current service level for now needs 1 track across the bridge,remember the tracks are on the surface
untill the Tunnel in to Penn station,so a 60 mph MAS is fine for now.
Hudson line service into Penn can be done with P32's set up for LIRR 3rd rail,IF THERE IS a REAL NEED for it,right now there's zero interest for that.
Interest and NEED is there for service off the New Haven Line service into Penn,but needs to wait for ESA to be finished and in service.
Backshophoss

Postby ExCon90 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:31 pm

One possible benefit from having a westbound-signaled Track 5 for some distance north of DV would be the ability to shift meets as the occasion arises, letting an Amtrak train from NYP continue north (west?) on 5 to meet an MN train for GCT on 4 or 2 and cross over later on rather than sit at DV until it passes.
ExCon90

Previous

Return to Amtrak