Scanners-what do you use when railfanning?

Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

Re: Scanners-what do you use when railfanning?

Postby scharnhorst » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:00 pm

I gave up with using a scanner now that almost every railroad keeps there signal lights on there towers on. At one time the scanner came in handy when I used to spend my time sitting by the Conrail main line back in the 90's but with the new CSX Signal systems the lights are always on and don't turn on and shut off before and after the train passes.
no matter the weather or the country I'll still be trackside!
scharnhorst

Postby Plate C » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:07 am

Lost my trusty scanner the other week and am seeking suggestions of what to replace it with, staying around the $100 range give or take?
Plate C

Postby New Haven 1 » Sun May 08, 2016 9:14 am

My favorite is my Motorola HT1000. While it isn't necessary for listening purposes, I like the fact that these radios allow on a per channel basis to select bandwidth so all of my RR frequencies are set to receive @ the 12.5 KHz narrowband improving sensitivity while the 2 Meter ham Frequencies I use for talking to friends can at the same time be set for the 25 KHz spacing for ham use. You can't beat the military grade commercial quality electronics from durability to accuracy regarding staying on frequency. To boot, I love the transmit and receive range that the factory Motorola 8 1/4" tall wideband ( 136-174 Mhz. ) antenna affords. These radios can be found on ebay for incredibly cheap prices, but, if you get one you will understand why Motorola was selling them for $1000.00 apiece when they were in production. The VHF model I have has performed flawlessly for several years despite being dropped ( unintentionally ) a few times. My bearcat SC150 while decent is nowhere near as sensitive.
RAILROADS: AMERICA'S MOST IMPORTANT TOOL FOR ENERGY CONSERVATION. REMIND YOUR POLITICIANS HOW YOU WANT YOUR TAX DOLLARS SPENT.
New Haven 1

Previous

Return to Radio and Communications