New operator for East Broad Top?

General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: Miketherailfan, rob216

New operator for East Broad Top?

Postby GSC » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:06 pm

I got some third-hand info recently about some new group looking into restoring the entire EBT, with common carrier possibilities to somewhere. Anyone hear anything on this?
Tonight's forecast - dark. Followed by scattered light in the morning.
GSC

Re: EBT News?

Postby tj48 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:10 pm

tj48

Postby GSC » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:30 am

Thanks for the links. Good info.

This was announced last May, according to the articles. Wonder why it wasn't all over the railfan sites?
GSC

Postby GSC » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:34 am

If grant money is available (with today's economy?) plans are to restore and reopen six miles to Mount Union, repair another loco (#17), and convert some freight cars to passenger service to keep the old passenger cars in good shape for special events. Hope something happens. Who here isn't fascinated by the EBT?
GSC

Postby Noel Weaver » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:02 pm

I am truly fascinated by the E.B.T. I remember visiting that site in early 1960 before the resumption of limited operation was even announced and found the whole place interesting. What was most interesting was that even after four years of
shutdown, there was a light on in the station office. This was encouraging sign that maybe it actually had a future. It was
not long after that it came out that the line actually did have a future.
I visited it again in 1960 to ride it a couple of different times and a few times after that as well.
Having said that, I do not think it is proper to use federal stimulus funds for something of this nature. There is no way that
this railroad can possibly become by any stretch of imagination a part of the passenger train network in this county not now
and not in the future either. There is just not the population in this area to support common carrier passenger service.
I would be thrilled to see any further restoration of this interesting line by private, state, local or other funds but not by the
federal government. There are other tourist type railroads that do connect with Amtrak or a common carrier someplace in
their area and actually go to a point where it might work as a useful connection and maybe it would be justified for some
help with them but sorry, not in this case.
Noel Weaver
Noel Weaver

Postby tj48 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:10 pm

Your welcome GSC. The EBT is very interesting. If you ever get a chance to visit and ride the railroad, by all means DO IT! It is a very interesting piece of American history. I wish this group well in their vision.
tj48

Postby GSC » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 am

I've been there for a couple Columbus Day Spectaculars. Had a blast. Been a few years since I was there, but I'll be back. There's an American Legion Post near Mt. Union that I must visit again as well (Quality draft beverages LOL)
GSC

Re: New operator for East Broad Top?

Postby toolmaker » Fri May 11, 2012 9:34 pm

Has there been a change in the operations? The last newsletter was 2011 found in the second like posted above.
-gary

“If practice makes perfect, and if nobody's perfect, why practice?"
toolmaker

Re: New operator for East Broad Top?

Postby trackwelder » Mon May 14, 2012 4:35 pm

the new operator isn't exactly running things to the owner's liking, so he may be out this year. future of the railroad at this time is uncertain.
shipbuilder
rail maintainer, 1st class
FEBT volunteer

TWU 234---WE MOVE PHILADELPHIA!!!
trackwelder

Return to Museums, Tourist Lines, and Historical Organizations