Big Boy 4-8-8-4 Tenders

Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: stilson4283, 3rdrail, Otto Vondrak

Big Boy 4-8-8-4 Tenders

Postby centennial » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:53 am

I'd be really grateful for help with a couple of questions about the UP Big Boy tenders that I haven't been able to answer by looking at photos or reading publications. I know that the first batch of Big Boys when originally delivered had tenders with wooden decking and I believe they did not have transverse toolboxes on top. I believe the second batch of Big Boys when originally delivered had tenders without wooden decking and that they were all provided with transverse toolboxes on top behind the coal compartment (please correct me if I’m wrong). Am I right in thinking that during subsequent shoppings, the wooden decking was removed from the first batch of tenders? Finally, were transverse toolboxes ever added to the first batch of tenders? Thanks!
centennial

Re: Big Boy 4-8-8-4 Tenders

Postby John_Perkowski » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:04 pm

Admin Note:

Moved to the Modelling Forum.
~John Perkowski: Moderator: General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment
Assistant Administrator: Railroad.net/forums
Please don't feed the spammers! If you see spam, please notify a Moderator
John_Perkowski

Return to Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam