November 2010 Trains magazine - what were they thinking ???

Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

November 2010 Trains magazine - what were they thinking ???

Postby David Benton » Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:52 pm

The cover is an illegible mess , and the contents are not much better . I dont know what to call it , USA today meets pop culture , something along those lines . Its all over the place , and the result is something thats very difficult to start reading , let alone finish .
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Re: November 2010 Trains magazine - what were they thinking

Postby Otto Vondrak » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:03 pm

It is different, isn't it? I haven't seen this issue yet, which is their 70th Anniversary. I really liked the 1990 effort for their 50th... Which makes me feel old all of a sudden.
----------------------------------------------
Moderator: New York State Railfan :: New York Central :: Toy Trains
NYW&B Fan Site :: A Magazine I Read Often :: A Museum I Volunteer At
Otto Vondrak

Re: November 2010 Trains magazine - what were they thinking

Postby David Benton » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:13 am

If you are looking at the trainsmag preview of the cover , i actually think it comes across better than the printed copy . Doesnt look so cluttered because you cant see some of the writing .
I think they have simply tried to jam too much in , and consequently made it hard to read .
possibly one of the pitfalls of desktop publishing , what looks ok on a computer screen , doesnt come across in print .
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Infinite Variety, Constant Efficiency

Postby 2nd trick op » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:45 am

I no longer subscribe to Trains; a reduced budget due to economic conditons makes the reginal Railpace a better source of news, and the historical society publications make more enlightening reading. I do have back isuues as far back as my birth year of 1949, and a complete set 1963-1996, which are a great reference, and a reminder of a very special group of people that produced most of them.

But I saw a copy of the 70th year issue last night, and was favorably impressed. To me, it represents an excellent starting point in a field of interest which has both grown and touches on a number of related subjects. A new reader is encouraged to explore in other directions, and it sometimes provides answers which are obvious to those of us who have been around for years, but are not always immediately recognized by a layman. The complexity is delibrately demonstrated to whet the reader's interest.

I thonk it''s appropriate, somehow, that this new approach appeared at "threescore and ten". Those of us whove been around for a while tend to forget that the number of Americans with firsthand knowledge of both regular-sevice steam power and private passenger operation is a dwindling rapidly; ditto for towers and train orders. Nothing in this society is static, but the railroad represents such a basic application of the rules of both technology and economics that it is likely to be around in some form, and stirring peoples' curiosity, for a very long time,
What a revoltin' development this is! (William Bendix)
2nd trick op

Return to Books, Magazines, Music, TV, and Movies, and other Media