Railroads In The Movies, Part II

Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

Re: Railroads In The Movies, Part II

Postby n2xjk » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:47 pm

I haven't seen The Bridge on the River Kwai mentioned here yet. One of my favorite movie classics. Actual train footage is brief, but sure makes an 'impact' at the climax of the movie.
n2xjk

Postby vingong » Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:38 am

I just came across this one, appears to be relatively new. "Big Easy Express" is a documentary about three bands, Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros, Old Crow Medicine Show, and Mumford &Sons, taking their tour on a train, from San Francisco to New Orleans. Sounds like a great idea!

http://www.bigeasyexpress.com/index.html
vingong

The Yards

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:20 am

An 'Art Noir' (released at Cannes during Y2K) film with big name actors but otherwise 'low-bud' has authentic footage of New York subways taken in Queens. Additionally, there is both footage taken in an NYCTA heavy repair shop as well as LIRR Greenpoint yards.

Both the NYCTA and the LIRR took production credit; surprising since one scene depicts the murder of a uniformed TA employee.

A good film that is presently making rounds at various Starz channels.

The Yards
Gilbert B Norman

Re: The Yards

Postby 3rdrail » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:57 am

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
Both the NYCTA and the LIRR took production credit; surprising since one scene depicts the murder of a uniformed TA employee.

The Yards

I wasn't so surprised about the murder as I was about the films apparent theme of corruption in shops, as advertised on the link's banner. Some institutions are very picky about what a film denotes, some are very not, although as far as NY is concerned, the TA would not allow one of my favorite movies, 1967's "The Incident" to allow even audio taping of subway sounds for the movie crew. I guess that even they have loosened up their standards.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Strangers On A Train - What Was Missed?

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:53 pm

I was unable to find any rail footage value in this flick that was aired today on the Chicago PBS outlet; WttW.

Middletown CT on the New Haven was passed off as 'Metcalf' . Funny how the train arrived with a consist of New Haven 8200's yet one of the actors got off a set resembling somebody's heavyweight Coach.

Other rail footage, including Hitchcock's cameo, showed an interior of an SP 'Daylight' Obs - traveling NY-Wash.

All told, I couldn't even get into the plot - a waste of this retiree's (HAHA :-D :-D ) time.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby NoahDaBoa » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:31 pm

Which Way Home

a documentary about unaccompanied, child immigrants from Central America taking Mexican freight trains to the border. At least half of the movie has shots of riding on top of freight trains :D
NoahDaBoa

Postby 4400Washboard » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:06 pm

Beginning of James Bond skyfall has an rr and the london tubes. Not sure if mentioned previously in this thread or not...

TJ
MTA project completion date calculator Take the MTA 's estimate for completion and add 8 years to that.
4400Washboard

Postby Death Star » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:16 pm

There wa a movie in the late 90's/early 2000s using BC Rail MLW widecabs and no, this is not Atomic Train I am thinking of, nor did the movie make use of Atomic Train footage. It is another movie. Saw a clip of the derailment scene in a movie train wreck compilation thing on YouTube. Does anyone know of the title I am thinking of? Seems like Hollywood liked to use BC Rail MLW widecabs in the late 90's for train wrecks.
Death Star

Postby NoahDaBoa » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:57 am

NoahDaBoa wrote:Which Way Home

a documentary about unaccompanied, child immigrants from Central America taking Mexican freight trains to the border. At least half of the movie has shots of riding on top of freight trains :D

There's also a great documentary called "Surfing Soweto" about South African train surfers and the subculture that they created in Soweto. There's some lame poetry and it's long, but it has some dare devil train surfing and the ending touches your heart a bit. The main character's nickname is Bitchnigga haha.
NoahDaBoa

Previous

Return to Books, Magazines, Music, TV, and Movies, and other Media