Fiction writer looking for train expert to interview

Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

Fiction writer looking for train expert to interview

Postby PinkInOctober » Thu May 23, 2013 10:28 am

Hi. I am new here mainly because I am a fiction writer looking to interview train conductors/operators for my story. I don't know if I am in the right section it I've been looking for places where I can contact the members. I apologize for any inconvenience.
PinkInOctober

Re: Fiction writer looking for train expert to interview

Postby mtuandrew » Thu May 23, 2013 10:55 am

Welcome, PinkInOctober!

Moderator's Note: I'm moving this request to the Railroads in Media forum. There are a number of train service employees that frequent RAILROAD.NET, so perhaps one will be able to speak with you. Otherwise, try asking at local railroad museums - even if their members don't have exactly the same experience, they have some idea of what railroading is like, and may be able to refer you to a current railroad employee.
mtuandrew

Postby PinkInOctober » Thu May 23, 2013 11:39 am

I live in an area with no railroad museums. That's why I had to come here. My question is about those trains that have different kinds of cabins for long travel (overnight, etc). From what I understand there are economy cabins as well as luxury cabins. Could someone recommend a book or website about the different parts of a passenger train like where are the supplies kept and all?

Next question is --- have any of you experienced a stowaway?
PinkInOctober

Postby David Benton » Thu May 23, 2013 4:39 pm

Check out Amtrak's onboard guide.
http://www.amtrak.com/onboard
It has Layouts, descriptions, and even virtual tours of its accommodations. Also check out you tube, many riders post videos walking through the trains on their trips.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Return to Books, Magazines, Music, TV, and Movies, and other Media