MTA Metro-North Railroad Hiring Process

General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

Re: MTA Metro-North Railroad Hiring Process

Postby Dmac » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:07 pm

Does anyone know the process of hiring Signal Trainees? How long is it before they initially contact you after doing the Internet application? What's the next step. Is there any classes scheduled in the near future?
Dmac

Postby Shelshel490 » Mon May 16, 2016 4:18 pm

To dune88 ....how long did it take for you to get your final offer from MNR
Shelshel490

Postby IBr8ke4ChooChoos » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:13 pm

Let me put it in perspective, I applied for track department back in February and I only got an email for a test invite two weeks ago so it can be rather lengthy.
IBr8ke4ChooChoos

Postby Dean0 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:20 pm

new to the forum, have a question maybe somebody can answer, recently applied for a few positions within metro north, on the website when I sign in, and click on the "activities" page it shows all the jobs i have applied to. recenty two of the positions i applied for "status" went from applied, to blank. Not sure what that means, did i make a mistake on the application and it got deleted or could that mean my resume was pulled? Any input would help and be greatly appreciated, I hope my applications weren't deleted or something along those lines, because the application deadlines for these jobs have closed
Dean0

Postby NYCfella » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:18 am

Hi guys new to here. I did my medical and P.A. T. 2 weeks ago and all went well but haven't got any response from my recruiter. Should I contact them or just wait it out or does it mean I was declined?
NYCfella

Postby Ampersand » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:13 pm

After I did my P.A.T. and medical I didn't hear from then again till about 2 1/2 months.
Ampersand

Postby dunee88 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:34 pm

Hey congrats on a successful medical. From what I've seen, once you go for medical it means they want you in the position. If it's any help, I contacted my recruiter 2 weeks after medical and he responded back right away saying he is waiting. Then two weeks after that I got a call with a start date which was a month away. But wait times are different for every craft depending on the needs at that time.

I believe a short and polite email won't hurt. They know and understand that you are waiting anxiously.

Good luck.
dunee88

Postby NYCfella » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:03 pm

Thanks alot. I forgot to say it was for Coach Cleaner. I will contact them within the week.
NYCfella

Postby NYCfella » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:09 pm

I took your advice and emailed my recruiter. She told me they are still reviewing applications and paperwork for the Coach Cleaner class and that I'm still currently in the process of being considered.
NYCfella

Postby DutchRailnut » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:20 pm

If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby Steamboat Willie » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:50 pm

As a heads up, the conductor posting will be open again in the coming weeks. A change was made to the Locomotive Engineer and Conductor entrance exam with the addition of being tested on some signals and definitions. Human resources will include the material when you get an invite to take the test. The word going around here is that the passing rate has plummeted drastically ever since they added the signals and definitions, however I feel this was a good change because you will need to be qualified on the rules and signals. In addition, it is forecasted sometime this year (subject to change) that sleep apnea will be included with the company medical screening for new hires.
Steamboat Willie

Postby briandiana » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:34 pm

hello... im new to the board. does MN hire track labors anymore? im 50 and looking to get on board with MN. ive applied to several postions already and looking to get on the conductor's list.. my odds are agaist me im sure but after working 25 years in the beverage business on a route truck, i really want to finish up with the railroad. does anyone have suggestions on what route i should take? or is this all a pipe dream on my part? im no stranger to physical work. bit fan of crossfit, 4 times a week...
briandiana

Postby truck6018 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:21 pm

briandiana wrote:im 50 and looking to get on board with MN. ...and looking to get on the conductor's list.. my odds are agaist me im sure ....

There are plenty of 50+ people getting hired in all crafts.
truck6018

Postby briandiana » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:28 pm

thanks truck 6018!! any words of advise on how to get on Metro North??
briandiana

Postby RearOfSignal » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:09 am

Tell your friends, Conductor Trainee is up right now on the MTA site. The application window ends 2/17/17, so get them in while you can.
Hurry up and wait at the signal!
RearOfSignal

PreviousNext

Return to Employment