RR workwear: Discussed here!

General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

Re: RR workwear: Discussed here!

Postby mikec1973 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:06 pm

yes i have, got them for my boot allowance from csx. take a bit to break in, and wear pretty quickly on the stone, but are comfortable.
mikec1973

Postby Bigt » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:24 am

I've read a few posts that mention headware. My question is this, does anyone
still use the wool Kromer caps of days gone by? Or, are they too an item of dress
that will get you laughed off the right of way? Some of the posts mentioned that
the road provides headware....if so, what is it? Thanks.
Bigt

Postby Freddy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:22 pm

Bigt wrote:I've read a few posts that mention headware. My question is this, does anyone
still use the wool Kromer caps of days gone by? Or, are they too an item of dress
that will get you laughed off the right of way? Some of the posts mentioned that
the road provides headware....if so, what is it? Thanks.

I knew a welder that wore one, he put his welder helmet on over it.
Freddy

Postby Gadfly » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:02 pm

Yes, I saw people wear them in the shops because they were softer and allowed the use of welding masks, goggles, etc, easily turned around backwards. Most Transportation people wouldn't be caught DEAD wearing that: it is part of a bygone era!

GF
Gadfly

Postby Bigt » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:39 am

Thanks, you guys are talking about the cotton Kromers that have been a mainstay of
welders and steelworkers for years. I was speaking of the wool version with the pull down
ear cover.....yes, from a bygone era. I know, quit living in the "old days"....modern railroaders
don't take to such nonsense.
Bigt

Postby gp80mac » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:35 pm

Bigt wrote:Thanks, you guys are talking about the cotton Kromers that have been a mainstay of
welders and steelworkers for years. I was speaking of the wool version with the pull down
ear cover.....yes, from a bygone era. I know, quit living in the "old days"....modern railroaders
don't take to such nonsense.

98% of current RRers wouldn't even know what a Kromer is, the other 2% don't care. Nobody should worry what others think about what you wear. If it works for you, then go for it. Nobody will bust your balls for being warm on a cold night. If railroaders of the past wore them - there is a reason: it must have worked.

A railroader is only cold, wet, or hungry once. Then they learn.
Yep.....
gp80mac

Postby TotalLamer » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:54 am

Not sure how it goes on the other roads, but spend a year with CSX and you'll have all sorts of free workwear emblazoned with your yard's name, city, whatever.

We hit 8 years injury free in Pinoca like 6 months back and got so much schwag on that day alone it's insane.
TotalLamer

Postby madmax52 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:28 pm

Does anyone have experience with composit toe shoes? Do any of the companies allow them in lieu of steel toe boots?
madmax52

Postby mdr406 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:24 am

I had a pair of composite toe shoes and I did not notice much of a difference, other than a slightly lighter shoe. Most companies allow them.

Just give your company's HR a call to be sure.
mdr406

Postby MichaelB86 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:43 pm

Gadfly wrote:Yes, I saw people wear them in the shops because they were softer and allowed the use of welding masks, goggles, etc, easily turned around backwards. Most Transportation people wouldn't be caught DEAD wearing that: it is part of a bygone era!

GF

Up until recently I was working over the road through the sierras and I wore a sheepskin hat with earflaps and nobody really cared. I see some of the weirdo's working out here lol A funny hat isn't a big deal.

BTW, any of you guys know of some real good rainwear? Most stuff I find now seems flimsy and pricey despite the lesser quality.
MichaelB86

Postby COEN77 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:08 am

I see all the comments on Stormy Kromer's. I never wore one but knew others that did on the railroad. Yesterday got a catalog for a clearance sale for National Geographic and they had "Stormy Kromer" hats on sale for $9.99 (regularly $39.99).

www.ShopNG.org
COEN77

Postby gobucks90 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:19 pm

Would any AR670-1 compliant boots from the army fit the boot requirements? I start conductor training in a few weeks.
gobucks90

Postby MichaelB86 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:01 pm

gobucks90 wrote:Would any AR670-1 compliant boots from the army fit the boot requirements? I start conductor training in a few weeks.

I think as long as the heel is 90 degrees from the sole. IE, the heel comes straight down you should be good. I believe they need to be steel toed but at first you can play it off and pretend. They should give you a boot voucher that pays for a good pair of boots. I'd definitely hold out for that.
MichaelB86

Postby dunee88 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:32 pm

great thread. I've picked up Timberland PRO Men's Pitboss 6" Steel-Toe Boot. These are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned. Definitely recommend.
dunee88

Postby John_Perkowski » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:36 pm

Being a soldier, albeit retired, US Army boots are not safety boots. We do not have steel toes as a matter of course
~John Perkowski: Moderator: General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment
Assistant Administrator: Railroad.net/forums
Please don't feed the spammers! If you see spam, please notify a Moderator
John_Perkowski

PreviousNext

Return to Employment