Thinking of making the switch from B&B to engineering.

General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

Thinking of making the switch from B&B to engineering.

Postby Mdente7 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:51 pm

Hey everyone I’m thinking of making the switch from B&B to engineering and was just wondering if anyone could give me some insight into what it’s like. Schedule/pay/vacation/difficulty. Any info would be great. I’m trying to get an engineeeing job in New York or philly. Any information would be great. Thank you!
Mdente7

Re: Thinking of making the switch from B&B to engineering.

Postby SlotCanyoneer » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:42 pm

I’m assuming by engineering you’re referring to the track maintenance department? Wouldn’t that be kind of a lateral move or maybe worse? The reason being engineering department generally lays off during winter seasons. If you were to switch crafts from B&B to track maintenance you would be bottom man again and subject to being furloughed. Unless I’m missing something or maybe you live in a warmer climate where they don’t lay track guys off.
SlotCanyoneer

Postby AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:32 am

SlotCanyoneer wrote:I’m assuming by engineering you’re referring to the track maintenance department?

My thoughts exactly! B&B is part of Engineering Dept. I just assumed the OP meant making the switch to Locomotive Engineer.
AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer

Postby Mdente7 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:00 pm

Sorry for the late response. I’m looking to go to passenger engineer. So not a lateral move. I’m currently in B&B so I would need to switch unions. I’ve read some things about not having a set schedule for 10 years but I’m only 24, and don’t have a wife or kids so that’s not a big deal for me. I applied recently for pittsburgh and Raleigh but preferably I’d like to be in northeast corridor. Any information would be great.
Mdente7

Postby kilroy » Wed May 15, 2019 1:39 pm

NJ Transit is in need of locomotive engineers. They just graduated one class and I think they have three going now.

Not sure if/when there will be additional classes but you can check the NJT website for info. https://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=CareersTo
Why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways?
kilroy

Postby Mdente7 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:02 am

Thank you... but, I think I’d rather stay with Amtrak, I like the option of being able to go anywhere in the US. I’m just trying to figure out the pay, schedule, and vacation time. Any info known would be great. Also I recently heard you had to be a conductor to be an engineer. It’s the first I heard of it and just wanted to know if it was true.
Mdente7

Postby Mdente7 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:44 am

And I’m sure it’s been said before on other threads but I’m trying to get a better grasp on what the extras board is.
Mdente7

Return to Employment