Thinking of making the switch from B&B to engineering.

General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

Thinking of making the switch from B&B to engineering.

Postby Mdente7 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:51 pm

Hey everyone I’m thinking of making the switch from B&B to engineering and was just wondering if anyone could give me some insight into what it’s like. Schedule/pay/vacation/difficulty. Any info would be great. I’m trying to get an engineeeing job in New York or philly. Any information would be great. Thank you!
Mdente7

Re: Thinking of making the switch from B&B to engineering.

Postby SlotCanyoneer » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:42 pm

I’m assuming by engineering you’re referring to the track maintenance department? Wouldn’t that be kind of a lateral move or maybe worse? The reason being engineering department generally lays off during winter seasons. If you were to switch crafts from B&B to track maintenance you would be bottom man again and subject to being furloughed. Unless I’m missing something or maybe you live in a warmer climate where they don’t lay track guys off.
SlotCanyoneer

Re: Thinking of making the switch from B&B to engineering.

Postby AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:32 am

SlotCanyoneer wrote:I’m assuming by engineering you’re referring to the track maintenance department?

My thoughts exactly! B&B is part of Engineering Dept. I just assumed the OP meant making the switch to Locomotive Engineer.
AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer

Return to Employment