Disappointed!!!

General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

Re: Disappointed!!!

Postby gp80mac » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:41 pm

SlotCanyoneer wrote:
gp80mac wrote:So you've been with the gov't for 11 years. Why in the hell would you want to hire on with CSX? I'm genuinely curious.

I understand your questioning why. Especially with the recent changes in management and such. It wasn’t so much that I wanted to specifically work for CSX, however I live in New England and CSX is the only class one freight RR. So when I saw an opening I applied since job openings for them don’t come up around here very often. It was also within a reasonable distance from me. Only about a 45 minute drive. Which I don’t consider bad.

Fair enough. I still think you're crazy, though.
Yep.....
gp80mac

Postby SlotCanyoneer » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:28 pm

gp80mac wrote:
SlotCanyoneer wrote:
gp80mac wrote:So you've been with the gov't for 11 years. Why in the hell would you want to hire on with CSX? I'm genuinely curious.

I understand your questioning why. Especially with the recent changes in management and such. It wasn’t so much that I wanted to specifically work for CSX, however I live in New England and CSX is the only class one freight RR. So when I saw an opening I applied since job openings for them don’t come up around here very often. It was also within a reasonable distance from me. Only about a 45 minute drive. Which I don’t consider bad.

Fair enough. I still think you're crazy, though.

Can I ask you to elaborate on your opinion?
SlotCanyoneer

Postby Engineer Spike » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:34 pm

I think that the opinion is based on the fact that railroading has gone corporate. Common sense no longer dictates anything. As a new employee, you will be at the bottom of a seniority roster, which means little job security. With the Postal Service, it will never go away. You are likely vested in a government pension too. Just look befor you leap. The grass isn’t too green over here.
Engineer Spike

Postby Engineer Spike » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:04 am

The railroad corporate climate doesn’t make this field too good. With all the hedge funds getting their hands on the railroads, they have doubled down on the nastiness. I don’t care what they say, the Postal Service will be around forever. If your heart is set on giving the railroad a try, don’t sell the regionals short. Why not look at Guilford? I have several friends there, and they seem happy. Some leave there for even better pay at Amtrak, or commuter rail.
Engineer Spike

Postby slchub » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:13 pm

At Amtrak the 3 person panel is usually made up of the HR rep, the local manager and the local union rep for hiring off the street. Internal app usually forgo the HR rep and usually have a phone interview or in person interview with the direct reporting manager and another manager on the same level as the hiring manager.

It took 2 tries for me to get picked up by the UP in 2004 as a cornductor. It only took 1 try for me to get picked up by Amtrak in 2007 as a re-entry engineer.

Good luck.
slchub

Previous

Return to Employment