BNSF EL PASO CONDUCTOR SALARIES

General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

BNSF EL PASO CONDUCTOR SALARIES

Postby Skilledjoe55 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:12 pm

I start training November 26th 2018 in El Paso Texas. I passed everything and recieved my offers. I have no clue on what I’m going to be making after training. Can anyone give me an idea on what I would most likely be making a year? I talked to someomen who works for BNSF that the pay in El Paso on the extra board was $7681 a month guaranteed. That’s about $92,000 a year. Is this true? Also how is the El Paso Location? Any tips or information would be greatly appreciated. I just want to get an Idea before I quit my job and go all in for the railroad. Thanks!
Skilledjoe55

Re: BNSF EL PASO CONDUCTOR SALARIES

Postby brim0628 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:53 pm

Greetings, it is hard to find any decent info about starting a new job with BNSF. I have searched far and wide with few results. I too am set to start out as a conductor trainee on Oct 29th. I will be workin out of Centralia, Illinois. They told us durin the interview/info session that trainees make around $193 a day durin training. I'm not sure but I have read that training will be 6 days a week so that gives you an idea of what to expect. Even after training I assume we will only be makin 80%. I think it takes 4 years to get up over $7000. Good luck with the new job
brim0628

Postby Engineer Spike » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:41 pm

Railroads hate paying guarantee. When too much goes out, the. positions get cut. As a new hire keep your expenses low. Don’t count of working the whole year through. That’s what seniority is about. Budget wisely.
Engineer Spike

Postby philofab » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:18 pm

I believe El Paso is SF primary recall so training is 13 weeks with pay starting at $116 a day for first two weeks then going to $150-$180 a day for the rest. After marking up you can make $60k-125k a year depending on the area and how much you lay off. You will most likely get furloughed in Jan-Mar when low on seniority unless you are very lucky. Some people never get furloughed, some have been furloughed for 3 years out of class. Terminal and economy dictate this. If you willing to travel to undesirable terminals it helps.
philofab

Postby tundraboomer » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:25 pm

Don't forget that helper positions will be at step rate, or 75% of the prevailing wage, for your first year. Same with the guarantee on yard boards. If you are in a terminal with no yard jobs, or you can hold the road right out of training, that is where the money is. 75% of the prevailing helper rate sucks. It comes out to only about $191/basic day in my terminal.
tundraboomer

Return to Employment