Assistant conductor hiring process

General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

Assistant conductor hiring process

Postby Eddieg231994 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:37 pm

Hey all, new to the board, first post. After years of filling out njt applications I finally got a letter in the end of july to take the assistant conductor test. Took the test Monday August 7th, found out I passsed the exam on Friday August 11th received a letter that the results of my test would be good for 2 years or the interview which ever comes first. I guess what i want to know is whats next? When could i be expecting a call or a letter for an interview and do they offer you the job at the interview? A huge thanks in advance too whoever answers me. Ive been teying to get in this company for five years now ad my father has been a conductor for 16 years here.
Eddieg231994

Re: Assistant conductor hiring process

Postby enterprise11 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:16 pm

I don't work for NJT, but if they're like most other railroads they'll move along at their own pace. When I hired out from sending in application to getting the job offer (and everything in between, such as the written test, interview, drug test/physical) took over six months, and from what I was told that was considered fast!

As for your dad being a conductor there, I believe in times past it would've been a huge leg-up, but some railroads are moving away from legacy hiring, although it certainly does still happen.

Good luck.
enterprise11

Re: Assistant conductor hiring process

Postby Eddieg231994 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:03 pm

Thank you man! If anyone from njt wants to weigh in thatd be cool! Thanks
Eddieg231994

Return to Employment