Amtrak Passenger Locomotive Engineer Trainee

General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

Amtrak Passenger Locomotive Engineer Trainee

Postby Jaydoy » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:57 am

Hi guys, I am wondering if anyone can tell me how long it takes to hear back from Amtrak if you have passed the online Hogan test ? I applied for a position in New Haven, received the email Friday, asking me to take the test, which I completed Saturday. I already started working for NJT on their LETP programme, but had to drop out after 5 weeks due a death in the family, meaning I had to fly to England. NJT are bringing me back on the next course which they hope to start early fall, but I didn't want to pass up the opportunity of working for Amtrak so I applied for them also. Any help would be appreciated
Jaydoy

Re: Amtrak Passenger Locomotive Engineer Trainee

Postby Acela150 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:41 pm

It could be a while. I took that CFA back in January for an AC job out of Philly. I was able to get in touch with the recruiter for the job which is very hard. She said that the testing for the job itself wouldn't be till May or so. I reached out to her in May and asked if that was still the plan. She told me that they had cancelled the job listing. From what I've heard it's just to small a crew base and there is no need right now. She did tell me that there is a job in Harrisburg. She had told me that the class would be in September or October. But she had sent me an invite for testing and quickly said she had to postpone it. With no explanation. So it's possible that job was cancelled even after a boss said yes offer the testing. I'm still trying to get a hold of her to ask what's going on, but it's not easy. She doesn't answer emails or phone calls. So I'm guessing I'll have to keep waiting.
Acela150

Postby Hudson2640 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:31 pm

I also took the CFA for the New Haven job. How quickly we'll hear back from them will depend on how quickly they need the job filled. I applied for a AC position last August for Albany. I took the CFA immediately after applying and was contacted to take the test in September. The HR rep said they were in dire need of conductors and wanted those hired in class by October. Surprisingly, everyone at the test were from off the street, but I didn't get in.

Supposing I did well on the CFA and get the invitation to take the test, could someone explain what's on the engineers test. I've taken the conductors test multiple times but I'm not sure how different the two tests are.
Hudson2640

Postby 8th Notch » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:09 am

Jaydoy wrote:Hi guys, I am wondering if anyone can tell me how long it takes to hear back from Amtrak if you have passed the online Hogan test ? I applied for a position in New Haven, received the email Friday, asking me to take the test, which I completed Saturday. I already started working for NJT on their LETP programme, but had to drop out after 5 weeks due a death in the family, meaning I had to fly to England. NJT are bringing me back on the next course which they hope to start early fall, but I didn't want to pass up the opportunity of working for Amtrak so I applied for them also. Any help would be appreciated

I wouldn't hold my breath or wait on Amtrak, especially since you already have something lined up at NJT. There is no rhyme or reason to how HR does things here so essentially it could be weeks or months before you hear or don't hear anything. I herd that the next class will be in the fall so if you were to hear something, it should be within next month or so I'd imagine. Log in to the career page and look at the job management section and you may see something like "we look forward to meeting with you" which signifies that they will be looking to setup interview.
8th Notch

Postby Jaydoy » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:34 pm

Thank you guys. I guess it's just a waiting game. Whichever comes first, that's the one I will go for. On my management page for Amtrak, it still says Under Review.
Jaydoy

Postby 8th Notch » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:30 pm

Good luck, I don't believe they have started any interviews so don't lose hope just yet.
8th Notch

Postby Acela150 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:25 pm

I actually just got the CFA for a LET job out of Boston. I've been getting quite a few lately. Various jobs too. I don't care what it's for or where.. Just as long as I can get my foot in the door. I was a CO for NS in the Philly area and gained quite a bit of operations experience. So I've been shooting for CO jobs. But like I said. Just want my foot in the door.
Acela150

Postby 8th Notch » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:52 pm

Good because Boston will be pretty hard to hold in the near future, Good Luck!
8th Notch

Postby Acela150 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:00 pm

I'm guessing that with the Trump proposed cuts that is the reason behind why it may not be easy to hold there?
Acela150

Postby 8th Notch » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:44 pm

No they just hired in anticipation of people retiring and no one seems to be retiring! There are at least 5 student engineers that are due to mark up in Bos within the next year or less and 2 people OOS due to come back. I believe the current posting is only for 1-2 people for Zone 1 (being BOS,NHV)
8th Notch

Postby Jaydoy » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:24 am

Oh wow, only 1-2 people, that's not a lot at all
Jaydoy

Postby Acela150 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:55 am

Jaydoy,

I'm attaching a screenshot so you'll know what to look out for. When I've taken the A/C test it didn't show this. So I would imagine this status shows if you pass the testing and are selected for an interview.

I will be interviewing this upcoming week for a job as a Block Operator in the Philly area. I actually have two friends who I used to work with at NS who are in this position now. One of which I went to Georgia with, and marked up together. We're as tight as could be for RR brothers. I haven't kept in touch with many of them but he is one. The other guy was one who I had trained on a couple of occasions.

Screen Shot 2017-07-27 at 10.39.56 PM.png
Interview Screenshot
Acela150

Postby AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:49 pm

8th Notch wrote:No they just hired in anticipation of people retiring and no one seems to be retiring! There are at least 5 student engineers that are due to mark up in Bos within the next year or less and 2 people OOS due to come back. I believe the current posting is only for 1-2 people for Zone 1 (being BOS,NHV)
If you think the 2 who were recently terminated will be back soon, I'd have to disagree with you. Acela150, all this time talking about this process, I never knew you were on here. Did you see that there's a posting for NY again?
AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer

Postby AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:54 pm

8th Notch wrote:No they just hired in anticipation of people retiring and no one seems to be retiring! There are at least 5 student engineers that are due to mark up in Bos within the next year or less and 2 people OOS due to come back. I believe the current posting is only for 1-2 people for Zone 1 (being BOS,NHV)

You gotta stay optimistic. Of my first 10 move-ups, only 3 were retirements. The others were people who died, went out on a permanent disability, Rule G etc.
AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer

Postby Jaydoy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:24 am

Thank you for the replies. I have my new start date with NJT, so it looks like I will be starting with NJT. I am slightly disappointed I haven't heard back off Amtrak yet, still says under review, but maybe Amtrak is something I can look at in the future.
Jaydoy

Next

Return to Employment