Amtrak Engineer position questions...

General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

Amtrak Engineer position questions...

Postby abc8251 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:04 pm

I saw that Amtrak has a few Engineer openings now. I'm trying to decide if I should bother applying and if I'll have a shot at the job. I don't really know what Amtrak is looking for, so that makes it tough. I currently operate trains on a light rail system. I've been there for about a year and a half now. Do you think that's too soon to start applying? I work nights, weekends, and holidays now; so I won't have a problem adjusting to that schedule at Amtrak. I think it depends on who's applying and how many they are looking to hire.
abc8251

Re: Amtrak Engineer position questions...

Postby Jaydoy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:58 pm

My advice is apply, you have nothing to lose. My interview for NJT was pretty much like my interviews in the U.K. as a train driver. They will probably ask you when you have dealt with an emergency situation, have you ever not agreed with a management decision, have you ever had to follow rules and regulations, pretty much anything you have dealt with working light rail vehicles.
Jaydoy

Postby 8th Notch » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:43 pm

abc8251 wrote:I saw that Amtrak has a few Engineer openings now. I'm trying to decide if I should bother applying and if I'll have a shot at the job. I don't really know what Amtrak is looking for, so that makes it tough. I currently operate trains on a light rail system. I've been there for about a year and a half now. Do you think that's too soon to start applying? I work nights, weekends, and holidays now; so I won't have a problem adjusting to that schedule at Amtrak. I think it depends on who's applying and how many they are looking to hire.

What crew base? If you are remotely interested then you shouldn't need anyone else to tell you whether you should apply or not.
8th Notch

Postby abc8251 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:42 am

8th Notch wrote:
abc8251 wrote:I saw that Amtrak has a few Engineer openings now. I'm trying to decide if I should bother applying and if I'll have a shot at the job. I don't really know what Amtrak is looking for, so that makes it tough. I currently operate trains on a light rail system. I've been there for about a year and a half now. Do you think that's too soon to start applying? I work nights, weekends, and holidays now; so I won't have a problem adjusting to that schedule at Amtrak. I think it depends on who's applying and how many they are looking to hire.

What crew base? If you are remotely interested then you shouldn't need anyone else to tell you whether you should apply or not.

The bases are not really near me unfortunately. I've heard Amtrak prefers local applicants. I saw for Harrisburg, Philly, Boston, and a few places out west. I live in the NYC area. If one opened in NY, I would definitely apply.
abc8251

Postby 8th Notch » Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:41 pm

You may or may not see an opening in NY for sometime with all of the students currently in the pipeline. Since Amtrak is a Natonal roster, you may get hired for NY and not be able to hold it so I would suggest keeping an eye open for New Haven postings as well since you can deadhead in most circumstances.
8th Notch

Postby abc8251 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:53 am

8th Notch wrote:You may or may not see an opening in NY for sometime with all of the students currently in the pipeline. Since Amtrak is a Natonal roster, you may get hired for NY and not be able to hold it so I would suggest keeping an eye open for New Haven postings as well since you can deadhead in most circumstances.

Thanks. New Haven is about 2 hours from me. I'll apply if I see an opening there.
abc8251

Postby AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:06 am

Hiring in NY now. I'd be willing to bet it's for Zone 2 (Sunnyside Yard, New York to Philadelphia & Washington, DC.
AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer

Postby abc8251 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:39 pm

I applied about 2 weeks ago. What's the next step in the process if they're interested?
abc8251

Postby Acela150 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:45 pm

If there is interest they'll send you the Culture Test. It could be a while. I just got two in a week for a jobs I applied to in January.
Acela150

Return to Employment