Prospects of being a CSX new hire conductor in Massachusetts

General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

Re: Prospects of being a CSX new hire conductor in Massachus

Postby AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:28 pm

SlotCanyoneer wrote:Thanks for all the responses. I have applied to Amtrak and I am even open to applying to the P&W, whom I know is now owned by G&W. I have thought about applying to Keolis but their starting training rate for a conductor is ridiculously low!! 10.00/hr until completing training!! No way I could do that. But certainly if other positions open up I would be open to applying.

Just curios. The above was posted on March 19th of this year. Where are you now? P&W has ALWAYS been very difficult to get into as it's a smaller operation. Obviously, if you had taken the Keolis route, you'd be making much more than $10/hour now.
AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer

Postby SlotCanyoneer » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:50 am

Amtrak Locomotive Engineer,
I am still with the federal government. I have given up on CSX as it simply doesn't seem to be a smart decision given the new CEO taking over. Also they abolished the conductor position I applied for anyway. I have applied to several other jobs with Keolis but at this point I have been shot down by them. I have applied to a number of Amtrak jobs in Boston as well. So far the applications seem to still be under review online. I have taken the online assessments but have heard nothing yet. No complaints from me as I do make a decent salary at 56k a year and I'm also offered quite a bit of OT at work. Also the benefits aren't too shabby being a federal employee. I think I will keep crossing my fingers that I will hear from Amtrak as I think they would be my best choice.
SlotCanyoneer

Postby enterprise11 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:51 pm

SlotCanyoneer wrote:Amtrak Locomotive Engineer,
I am still with the federal government. I have given up on CSX as it simply doesn't seem to be a smart decision given the new CEO taking over. Also they abolished the conductor position I applied for anyway. I have applied to several other jobs with Keolis but at this point I have been shot down by them. I have applied to a number of Amtrak jobs in Boston as well. So far the applications seem to still be under review online. I have taken the online assessments but have heard nothing yet. No complaints from me as I do make a decent salary at 56k a year and I'm also offered quite a bit of OT at work. Also the benefits aren't too shabby being a federal employee. I think I will keep crossing my fingers that I will hear from Amtrak as I think they would be my best choice.

Keolis currently has a posting up for their next Assistant Conductor class, and have generously raised their training rate to 11 dollars an hour!

I still stand by my recommendation to apply; it's a VERY good job. You'll get the training rate for eight weeks at straight time, so 440/week before taxes, but will mark up to 75 percent A/C rate once you graduate. You'll be working a ton too since they're hurting for people, and the extra-board is a 6 on/1 off schedule with a 2 hour call. PLENTY of OT, and you'll make good money your first year out, not to mention the bennies and railroad retirement. Feel free to PM me for specifics.
enterprise11

Previous

Return to Employment