Applying to railroads: Northern Idaho, Washington or Montana

General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

Applying to railroads: Northern Idaho, Washington or Montana

Postby DMC68 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:03 pm

Hey, I work for a plant in SoCal as a switchman. I drive a single switch engine, and basically just set up exports and organize our yard and stuff for the railroad. I have been doing this for about two years now.

My wife's parents will be moving to northern Idaho and I have been trying to move my family up there myself. I noticed in Sandpoint there are a few railroads; Bnsf, UP and some other I can't remember off the top of my head. I have been following them for a few months now and I haven't seen a single opening. I was wondering if you guys think it would be a good idea just to give them a call and maybe send them my resume? I'm not sure what their hiring policy is like. So I don't know if they would even consider hiring me. But I would like your thoughts, thanks!
Last edited by John_Perkowski on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Forum changed, topic title clarified.
DMC68

Re: Applying to railroads: Northern Idaho, Washington or Mon

Postby COEN77 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:51 am

All you can do is try. It doesn't cost anything. There are also shortline railroads to consider.
COEN77

Postby DMC68 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:58 pm

Just as an update, I have been applying for a few months and got invited to a interview session for a seattle position. Super excited!
DMC68

Postby tundraboomer » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:15 am

Hope the Seattle gig works out but if not, check Watco and G&W up there too. I frequently see job postings for both of them in the region.
tundraboomer

Postby Engineer Spike » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:42 am

I have a friend who got cut off where I work. He went to MRL, and said that they have been on a hiring spree. After a few months, he was holding a day yard, ex. Sat. and Sun.
"Welcome all ye who enter; the show that never ends. Tingfield Sperminal Railway." (Graffiti on the entry to Mohawk Yard Office)
Engineer Spike

Return to Employment