Metro North - Radio Maintainer

General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

Metro North - Radio Maintainer

Postby PUMA » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:53 pm

Anybody have info on the Radio Maintainer position? I was invited to take exam.
thanks
PUMA

Re: Radio Maintainer

Postby DutchRailnut » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:01 pm

so most of info is in application ? you will receive better salary and Benefits for this position and opportunity to move to other jobs, If you know what radio Maintainer entails ??
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Re: Metro North - Radio Maintainer

Postby kitn1mcc » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:16 pm

Study up on board level and component level repair and diffrent Amp types. even tubes
Ui Company Meter Services
kitn1mcc

Postby bingdude » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:17 pm

So did you pass the test? That would be a job I would have been interested in when I was younger.
bingdude

Postby dunee88 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:32 am

This position was just posted again.
dunee88

Postby crunch704 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:15 pm

I am sure I signed a non-disclosure agreement about the test, so don't expect specifics. I can say, I took a test for CT Elect Tech a few years ago. On that... there was basic algebra. A few word/math problems. Questions about CTCSS and digital codes/freqs. Bandwidth. Computer IP stuff. And a few other things I just don't remember.

As for the work Metro North does. During my interview, they stressed "PA systems". Talking to someone that USED to work in that shop, he mentioned 1970's vintage equipment. You might want to keep that in mind when studying (remote control circuits; tone freqs for remotes; etc...). In the old old days, some remote circuits were DC controlled (polarity A = transmitter off; polarity swapped/flipped = transmitter on). I doubt highly any of that stuff is in the field... but, you never know.

With the above in mind, and the dates of the posts... I have to assume you (the original poster) took the test already. Any word? Any interview?? I have been waiting in "a pool" of candidates since I was informed I passed the test and interview in June. My inside sources says things move very SLOW. Am curious if anyone else had any movement.
crunch704

Postby crunch704 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:34 pm

Just for the record. I took the PAT (Physical Ability Test) and medical screening on Feb 21 (Ironically 8 months to the day of the interview). Was told I passed everything. HR still says "no openings" (as of today, March 1).
crunch704

Return to Employment