NS - Columbia SC info

General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

NS - Columbia SC info

Postby scje953 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:03 am

Does anyone know the state of NS in Columbia, SC? I've heard that their traffic may increase with time as a result of Charleston Harbor being deepened. I applied to the conductor position on the NS site about a month ago, but haven't heard anything back. It's still in process.
scje953

Re: NS - Columbia SC info

Postby COEN77 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:53 am

East Coast ports & railroads have been gearing up the last 5 years dredging harbors with railroads revamping & building terminals in anticipation of the increase of container business with the Panama Canal Expansion which opened up June 26th this year.
COEN77

Re: NS - Columbia SC info

Postby scje953 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:27 am

I've noticed there are quite a few openings for Operations Managers at NS, including one in Columbia, SC. It seems they are targeting recent college grads...I have a computer engineering degree from 6 years ago, along with 6 years experience. Think that's too long out of school to land a job at NS? The variety in schedule and environment sound great after years bound to a computer. Does anyone know of any IT guys or programmers that have swapped successfully to a RR career?
scje953

Return to Employment