Hearing after being laid off

General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

Hearing after being laid off

Postby curiousgeorge » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:04 pm

If someone got in trouble at UP and was laid off work for over 8 months and then had a hearing, what kind of reasoning would there be to have a hearing? Could this be alcohol related? Thanks
curiousgeorge
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:43 pm

Re: Hearing after being laid off

Postby Acela150 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:41 pm

Union trying to get their guy back to work.
Acela150
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Hearing after being laid off

Postby COEN77 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:26 am

curiousgeorge wrote:If someone got in trouble at UP and was laid off work for over 8 months and then had a hearing, what kind of reasoning would there be to have a hearing? Could this be alcohol related? Thanks

Was it a case of being furloughed or being held out of service? Big difference. If the person was held out of service or terminated (more likely if it was 8 months) then there would be hearings to seek reinstatement. There are different levels of appeals. Getting a case to the Nation Mediation Board can take up to 1-2 years.
COEN77
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:11 am
Location: Richmond, Va

Re: Hearing after being laid off

Postby curiousgeorge » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:05 pm

Thank you for your response. Definitely held off/terminated. Not furloughed. Can they terminate for any reason? Or if there was an incident with alcohol would that sound about right? Thanks
curiousgeorge
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:43 pm

Re: Hearing after being laid off

Postby COEN77 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:52 am

curiousgeorge wrote:Thank you for your response. Definitely held off/terminated. Not furloughed. Can they terminate for any reason? Or if there was an incident with alcohol would that sound about right? Thanks

Could be for any rule violation. There's different levels of rule violations from the railroad & the FRA. An incident involving alcohol on the job most definitely. Some railroads have a strike system (1-2-3 like baseball) having multiple rule violations within a certain timeframe.
COEN77
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:11 am
Location: Richmond, Va

Re: Hearing after being laid off

Postby BobLI » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:44 am

If a person has a substance abuse/alcohol problem can they get help through an abuse rehab program sponsored by the RR? I think private industry has to send you to a program ( by law?) if you admit to a problem. Not too sure how all that works.
BobLI
 
Posts: 975
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:46 am
Location: NY

Re: Hearing after being laid off

Postby COEN77 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:18 am

BobLI wrote:If a person has a substance abuse/alcohol problem can they get help through an abuse rehab program sponsored by the RR? I think private industry has to send you to a program ( by law?) if you admit to a problem. Not too sure how all that works.

If anyone has a drug/alcohol problem healthcare insurance will cover going to rehab. If a person fails a random FRA drug/alcohol test they will be charged with a Rule G violation and taken out of service. Some railroads have a Rule G bypass (Operation Redblock) going through the Employee Assistance Program to help save the job. If alcohol/drugs are detected after an on the job incident that's an entirely different situation. There's only one advice don't do drugs/alcohol on the job.
COEN77
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:11 am
Location: Richmond, Va


Return to Employment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests