Pre hire drug test

General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

Pre hire drug test

Postby catfish63755 » Mon May 19, 2014 5:18 pm

I am going to be attending a hiring event in St. Louis at the end of this month with the Union Pacific for train service and I was wondering if there was a comprehensive list of prescription drugs that are or are not allowed by the railroads. I occasionally take tramadol and a mild muscle relaxer (Flexeril) to manage some neck and shoulder pain. Neither the medicine or the pain keep me from doing my current job in construction, but I don't know if the railroad or FRA has different standards for railroaders than the general public. Any insights offered will be greatly appreciated. Have a safe day out there everyone.
catfish63755

Re: Pre hire drug test

Postby DutchRailnut » Mon May 19, 2014 6:21 pm

yes cut both out, neither would be approved unless by permission of the Railroads medical dept.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby mdr406 » Mon May 19, 2014 11:33 pm

You will need to notify them of this, as it may be approved based upon your medical officer's review. This is of course presuming that it is prescribed medication. This drug typically shows up as a tricyclic antidepressant.
mdr406

Postby catfish63755 » Mon May 19, 2014 11:54 pm

Thanks for the heads up folks, I'm planning on laying off of the meds, but taking them with me in the current prescription bottles in case there's any questions. I had a disc in my neck (C 3-4) give me some problems last year, and occasionally I'll tweak it if I'm twisted wrong and get jolted. I normally take the meds a couple days with naproxen sodium until everything clears. Guess I'll have to be a little tougher from now on.
catfish63755

Postby Freddy » Tue May 20, 2014 8:59 am

Don't volunteer anything about that neck or getting twisted or jolted.
Freddy

Postby catfish63755 » Tue May 20, 2014 10:18 pm

I don't plan on volunteering anything, but I'm sure they'll find out anyway in my medical history. Iim waiting on a call back from a family member that works out of another service unit to see if he can find anything out from his management. I don't see it as a huge problem, but I like to have a really good idea of what to expect before the hiring session.
catfish63755

Return to Employment