Disappointed!!!

General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

Re: Disappointed!!!

Postby gp80mac » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:41 pm

SlotCanyoneer wrote:
gp80mac wrote:So you've been with the gov't for 11 years. Why in the hell would you want to hire on with CSX? I'm genuinely curious.

I understand your questioning why. Especially with the recent changes in management and such. It wasn’t so much that I wanted to specifically work for CSX, however I live in New England and CSX is the only class one freight RR. So when I saw an opening I applied since job openings for them don’t come up around here very often. It was also within a reasonable distance from me. Only about a 45 minute drive. Which I don’t consider bad.

Fair enough. I still think you're crazy, though.
Yep.....
gp80mac

Postby SlotCanyoneer » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:28 pm

gp80mac wrote:
SlotCanyoneer wrote:
gp80mac wrote:So you've been with the gov't for 11 years. Why in the hell would you want to hire on with CSX? I'm genuinely curious.

I understand your questioning why. Especially with the recent changes in management and such. It wasn’t so much that I wanted to specifically work for CSX, however I live in New England and CSX is the only class one freight RR. So when I saw an opening I applied since job openings for them don’t come up around here very often. It was also within a reasonable distance from me. Only about a 45 minute drive. Which I don’t consider bad.

Fair enough. I still think you're crazy, though.

Can I ask you to elaborate on your opinion?
SlotCanyoneer

Postby Engineer Spike » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:34 pm

I think that the opinion is based on the fact that railroading has gone corporate. Common sense no longer dictates anything. As a new employee, you will be at the bottom of a seniority roster, which means little job security. With the Postal Service, it will never go away. You are likely vested in a government pension too. Just look befor you leap. The grass isn’t too green over here.
Engineer Spike

Previous

Return to Employment