Did the Blue Comet live on beyond 1941 ?

Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

Did the Blue Comet live on beyond 1941 ?

Postby 3rdrail » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:13 pm

Hi All ! I understand that the famous Jersey Central's "Blue Comet" officially stopped running 9/27/41. I'm curious, however, if an unofficial Blue Comet, perhaps with diesel power, ran after that on the same route. If it did, would it still have been called The Blue Comet and might the route or stations stopped at been changed ? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
~Paul Joyce~
[i]Moderator: Toy Trains, Model Railroading, Outdoor and Live Steam

Paul Joyce passed away in August, 2013. We honor his memory and his devotion at railroad.net.
3rdrail

Re: Did the Blue Comet live on beyond 1941 ?

Postby Ken W2KB » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:20 pm

3rdrail wrote:Hi All ! I understand that the famous Jersey Central's "Blue Comet" officially stopped running 9/27/41. I'm curious, however, if an unofficial Blue Comet, perhaps with diesel power, ran after that on the same route. If it did, would it still have been called The Blue Comet and might the route or stations stopped at been changed ? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

I don't think any passenger trains continued to Atlantic City. I have read that ridership was down to less than 15,000 a year by 1941. Diesels on passenger trains did not start being used until well after the War. Passenger service over a portion of the route, to Tom's River via a branch, continued into the 1950's I believe. And NJ Transit does run over a portion of the route from South Amboy to Red Bank.
~Ken :: Fairmont ex-UP/MP C436 MT-14M1 :: Cessna 177B Cardinal N16019
Black River Railroad Historical Trust :: My Personal Site
Ken W2KB

Location: Lebanon Township, Hunterdon County, New Jersey & Tiverton, RI USA

Re: Did the Blue Comet live on beyond 1941 ?

Postby firthorfifth06 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:27 pm

To reply to KenW2KB:

Passenger service on the Barnegat Branch (which included Toms River) ended during the early fifties. Until then, from the late forties and onward, only one round trip ran on the entire NJS and Barnegat branches, and that was the Sunday only round trip to Barnegat, formerly called the Fisherman's Special. Unsure of the final dates on that train, but maybe someone like octrainguy could fill in the gaps on that one?

Also, service south/west of lakehurst (as in Whitings and beyond) ended during the forties while it was nearly nothing! In fact, engines being used on those runs were used for passenger runs in the AM, then assigned to freight trains afterward (see Trail of the Blue Comet). I do not believe the first diesels made it down there for pax service in '49
firthorfifth06

Return to Central Railroad Company of New Jersey