CNJ "Lily of the Valley"

Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

CNJ "Lily of the Valley"

Postby John Johnstone » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:00 pm

NJC's "Lily of the Valley" used to run from Newark to Harrisburg via Franklin St. Station in Reading. When did this train cease to operate and why? Did it end before or after Reading's Harrisburg service ended and I'm wondering when Reading's Harrisburg Station closed?
John Johnstone

Re: Lily of the Valley

Postby 56-57 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:15 pm

It was the 'Queen of the Valley, was a joint CNJ/RDG train, and didn't survive the closing of the CNJ's Jersey City Terminal in 1967, so it never ran out of Newark. It basically was the RDG's Harrisburg service by the time it was annulled, and it stopped running once the Post Office dropped the RPO, as that was what kept it in the black (like so many other trains at that time).

I can only speculate that the end of the Queen of the Vally/Harrisburger also brought the end to the RDG's Harrisburg station, I honestly don't know.

MJK
telephone, telegraph, and tell a railroader

-S.E. Miller
56-57

Postby John Johnstone » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:30 am

Thanks for responding - I learned from the RDG posts that service ended in '63. John
John Johnstone

Postby 56-57 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:24 pm

John Johnstone wrote:Thanks for responding - I learned from the RDG posts that service ended in '63. John

Actually, so did I.. The CNJ portion did continue running JC-Allentown till '67 though.. Details details..

MJK
telephone, telegraph, and tell a railroader

-S.E. Miller
56-57

Postby Ken W2KB » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:21 am

56-57 wrote:
John Johnstone wrote:Thanks for responding - I learned from the RDG posts that service ended in '63. John

Actually, so did I.. The CNJ portion did continue running JC-Allentown till '67 though.. Details details..

MJK

Ah! That's why I recall the destination board with the train name still in use in 1966 or so, at Jersey City Terminal.
~Ken :: Fairmont ex-UP/MP C436 MT-14M1 :: Cessna 177B Cardinal N16019
Black River Railroad Historical Trust :: My Personal Site
Ken W2KB

Location: Lebanon Township, Hunterdon County, New Jersey & Tiverton, RI USA

Return to Central Railroad Company of New Jersey