Vehicles On CNJ Ferries

Discussion of the CNJ (aka the Jersey Central) and predecessors Elizabethtown and Somerville, and Somerville and Easton, for the period 1831 to its inclusion in ConRail in 1976. The historical society site is here: http://www.jcrhs.org/

Moderator: CAR_FLOATER

Vehicles On CNJ Ferries

Postby CNJ Fan 4evr » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:20 am

Watching old films of the Jersey City Terminal/ferry sheds I can see cars,trucks, and B&O busses driving off the ferries.Did they go off at the far north slip or did they use any of the slips? Where did they enter/exit at ? Without the ferry shed there now it is hard to place how they operated.
CNJ Fan 4evr

Re: Vehicles On CNJ Ferries

Postby Ken W2KB » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:16 pm

CNJ Fan 4evr wrote:Watching old films of the Jersey City Terminal/ferry sheds I can see cars,trucks, and B&O busses driving off the ferries.Did they go off at the far north slip or did they use any of the slips? Where did they enter/exit at ? Without the ferry shed there now it is hard to place how they operated.

Any of the four slips at Jersey City. Vehicles made an immediate right turn after driving over the bridge from the ferry and exited at the north end of the ferry shed by turning left onto Johnston Avenue.
~Ken :: Fairmont ex-UP/MP C436 MT-14M1 :: Cessna 177B Cardinal N16019
Black River Railroad Historical Trust :: My Personal Site
Ken W2KB

Location: Lebanon Township, Hunterdon County, New Jersey & Tiverton, RI USA

Return to Central Railroad Company of New Jersey